DIY/ Homemade Rod Tube

D

dld

I have a 100 year old what I believe is lacewood flyrod(no markings)...I decided to find a hunk of timber bamboo to fashion a case for it...Looking for the right brass strap hinges for it to hinge it...I split the bamboo lengewise(3+ inches in diameter)and intend to cap the ends with bamboo corm walls...inside I will line with velour...I have some lined velour to adhere inside the halves with a paint on fabric adhesive...it is a work in progress...no pics yet...but this all will be worked out eventually and i will post what I am doing...

3M spray contact adhesive works well. I've used it for felt many times.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
3M spray contact adhesive works well. I've used it for felt many times.
the outgassing is an issue...I have the adhesive thing covered...Thanks...3M spray 77 would be the standard for such a thing...I used 3M spray #90 for redoing car carpet...nasty stinky stuff though...I used a number of products when I was an exhibit designer fabricator...for 30 years actually...I don't want to fog the blued nickel silver snake guides...Thanks for the suggestion!

PhilR

I've also heard, but have never tried, that the plastic pipes used for built-in vacuum systems is strong and light.

Sir Homey

Level 7 Dungeon Master
For smaller rods, and for folks maybe counting ounces when backpacking, try a good ol' fluorescent tube light cover. Cut the tube to size. Pick up some extra end caps if needed. Secure one end cap with duct tape. Run some para cord thru the top cap so you can take it off and not lose it. They are surprisingly resilient and oh so light.

Mark Kadoshima

I've been fabricating all my rod tubes out of a black PVC material Home Depot sells. Much lighter than the white PVC. Not sure if it has the structural strength of the white material....might be more brittle but have been using it for a couple years for about ten rods and haven't had a problem yet. I set up a couple so I can transport my spey rods broken in half and still strung up for transporting from run to run without worrying about something dropping on them in my truck.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
They call people that use leather to fix things, "Raw-hiders" take the easy way out and not do it right.
Actually it looks great...I made a antique Fly box using leather for drawer pulls...Now it's a heavy darn thing but it was a fun project. Can't post a pic of it yet...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts