Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Back from Andros Island

Trip Report 
1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jordan101 
#1 · (Edited)
This trip was a great one. We stayed at Swain's Caye Lodge and the accommodations were great. I am always giving a great review for beds, air conditioning and a hot shower.

The weather all week was spotty. Each day there were thunderstorms. I really enjoyed the warm rain. Our guide Leslie Green had the eyes of a hawk. His ability to spot fish was amazing. We leaned on him to spot because the weather seemed to effect the fish. The big schools were pushed out so we fished at quite a few singles and doubles. There were some spooky fish but most fish were biters. The flies we used were the Bahama Mamas and Gotchas. Never really experimented. I will be heading back to the Bahamas in November around Thanksgiving.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
Jordan, I hope you don't mind me tagging onto your report. I stayed @Seascape Inn on Middle Andros (Mangrove Caye) the last week of April. Small, but good operation (I was the only one there for the first four days) with great food, bicycles for exploring flats on your own, and super hosts. Had the same spotty weather as @jordan101 , lots of thunderstorms out at the west end that kept chasing me and my guide Douglas Saunders. He must come from the same gene pool as Jordans guide - eyes like an osprey! First time ever to feel my graphite rod "buzzing" with static electricity during one particularly potent cell!! We booked it out of that spot, but circled back to it after the storm passed as there were fish there along with a single tarpon we spotted but couldn't get a shot at. Caught a lot of fish but no double digit sized. Biggest fish I cast to, a "Grunt" I hadn't spotted inhaled my fly before the bone got to it! Damn!
I caught some fish wading on my own on some flats I biked/hiked to, but those bones within sight of the lodge see a lot of flies and have earned their PhD's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.