SBS Cool little sculpin pattern

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
@b_illymac

Kind of a spin off of another sculpin pattern I found online. This a great 3" streamer. Can be tied with or without eyes. This one is with eyes tied on a size 4 streamer hook.

Mash barb, add thread base (nod to @ScottP) and tie in eyes

Tie in bunny. I go about 1 1/4 times the length of shank.

Tie in 4 strips of SF blend at a 45 degree angle. This helps to keep tail from foul hooking. We will come back and trim.

Add dubbing.

Bring bunny forward and tie in just behind eyes

Make a dubbing loop. I'm using EP fibers to create my collar and head. As you can see, fibers at the top are a bit longer. This will help with your taper.

Spin loop, palmer, then trim head and SF blend to your preference.

Then crush it

@b_illymac

Kind of a spin off of another sculpin pattern I found online. This a great 3" streamer. Can be tied with or without eyes. This one is with eyes tied on a size 4 streamer hook.

Mash barb, add thread base (nod to @ScottP) and tie in eyes

Tie in bunny. I go about 1 1/4 times the length of shank.

Tie in 4 strips of SF blend at a 45 degree angle. This helps to keep tail from foul hooking. We will come back and trim.

Add dubbing.

Bring bunny forward and tie in just behind eyes

Make a dubbing loop. I'm using EP fibers to create my collar and head. As you can see, fibers at the top are a bit longer. This will help with your taper.

Spin loop, palmer, then trim head and SF blend to your preference.

Then crush it

Nice one Swimmy ! I fish lots of sculpins here in lakes, streams and salt, our searuns love em !

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
Great looking fly! I am curious, why the hook point down if you are already tying in barbell eyes?
Habit. I've pretty much always been a hook down guy.

Plus I'm not drifting these along the bottom but rather stripping them so I hardly ever get hung up. Certainly you could do it that way and it wouldn't hurt anything. Probably would be better but again it is a habit thing.

EP Trigger point fibers or another one of his products, Swimmy?
Actually it is the 3d fibers, color Sculpin.

https://www.epflies.com/estore/3-d-fibers

Latest posts