NFR What Am I Reading?

dld

Or, rather, what should I read? I've exhausted the works of all of my favorite authors, so throw me some suggestions, please.

Rules:

Fiction only. I don't want to have the discussion about why I only read fiction. Long story short, I feel like I get more out of fiction than non-fiction.

Some of my favorite authors:

Cormac McCarthy
Kurt Vonnegutt
Tom Robbins
Raymond Chandler
Chuck Palahniuk

I also read dime-store crime fiction (basically mental masturbation, but whatever).

Dick Francis
Michael Connelly
Lee Child
James Rollins

I'm not into fantasy, or horror. Sci-fi is hit-or-miss.

Thanks, all!

PhilR

Christopher Moore or Jasper Fforde if you have a twisted sense of humor
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, mixing tech and cryptography between WWII and today
Leviathan Wakes, the first novel in The Expanse, which is more realistic science fiction

dld

War and Peace
Crime and Punishment

Both well worth the time, Tolstoy is a great writer, Dostoyevsky is no slouch either.

I read War and Peace about every 2-3 years, its a marvelous piece of writing.
I've often thought of reading those, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. They just seem like so much of a commitment right now. I'll definitely consider them, or maybe start one while also reading lighter fare (I can keep several books going at once).

Thanks!

dld

Christopher Moore or Jasper Fforde if you have a twisted sense of humor
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson, mixing tech and cryptography between WWII and today
Leviathan Wakes, the first novel in The Expanse, which is more realistic science fiction
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.

dld

Thomas McGuane
Elmore Leonard
I just finished my first Thomas McGuane. I'll read more, but his style demands a bit of a break in between. Funny thing, I knew his son about twenty years ago when he had his custom knife store on main street, downtown Bozeman.

I'm pretty sure I have read all of Elmore Leonard's.

Thanks for the input!

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I've often thought of reading those, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. They just seem like so much of a commitment right now. I'll definitely consider them, or maybe start one while also reading lighter fare (I can keep several books going at once).

Thanks!
Take the plunge on War and Peace.....I had a copy for 20 years before I sat down and read it, now its in the rotation.....you will not regret starting it.

Shantaram by David Gregory Roberts. I suggested this one on a thread @billymac posted for books to read at deer camp. There were a lot of great suggestions on that thread. You might check it out:)

Fishing- I loved Full Creel and Harry Middleton's On the Spine of Time and the Earth is Enough. Middleton was a genius. Outstanding Literature- Just finished Jayber Crow- if you want action, this isn't it. If you want some of the loveliest prose in recent memory, read it. If you want non-fiction, Killers of the Flower Moon. It'll make you want to barf, but it's a part of our nation's history and its treatment of Native Americans that is frankly unconscionable ; and I'm not an apologist for Native Americans. I could go on, but won't:)

Last edited: