NFR What Am I Reading?

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I reread favorites shared by the looks of your list... I am rereading Kurt Vonneguts later works...currently Bluebeard...it is such a hoot!
and I have ordered from our library Wolfe's Electric Koolaid Acid test to reread with the news of his passing...

I would also recommend Paolo Bacigalupi's, The Water Knife released in 2015

I read Coroline to my students a couple of times. It's kind of scary for younger kids and a bit dark. You may also like James Patterson and J A Jance if you're into mysteries. And if you like mysteries there's an older series by Tony Hillerman about a Navajo Indian cop named Joe Leaphorn. They are pretty easy reads. I probably could go on like The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and the two or three that follow. Lots of good reads out there if you enjoy reading like I do.

If you liked “The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo” try the Harry Hole novels by Jo Nesbo. I also like Dennis Lehane (Mystic River), John Sanford, Michael Connelly.
Big fan of Historical Nonfiction:
Kenneth Roberts’ Northwest Passage, Arundel and Rabble in Arms for the American war of independence.
Jeff Shaaras 9trilogy of the Civil War is brilliant: https://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Tr...sr=8-3&keywords=jeff+shaara+revolutionary+war
The clusterf#$k in arabastan is well explained in Dexter Filkins’ The Forever War.

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

If you like it then go with The Painter and Celine by the same author.
. I have reas all of these books. Heller is a flyfisherman too! Also another big thumbs us for Sisters Brothers. It’s a great book and hilarious. They are going to be making a movie and i think i heard Jake Gylennhall plays one of the brothers. (Their last name is Sister).

Buzzy

Since you have read Connelly and Child you might add Baldacci. @Jojo suggested I read Nobody's Fool (Russo) - most excellent read. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt (since you have read McCarthy). Backman (A Man Call Ove, Bear Town). And one that really reached out and got me: All The Light We Cannot See (Doerr).

dld

Thanks again, everybody. I picked up 'The Sisters Brothers', and realized a bit into the book that I had read it before. It must have been when I was working in the UK, doing weird schedules and working 60-70hrs per week. I remember some of it, but not all--mostly I remember the descriptions, DeWitt is pretty good at painting the picture. I should be finishing it tonight.

Also downloaded 'War and Peace' to my kindle (yes, I use a kindle and hate to admit it--I thought I'd never get one, but when I moved, the books were the worst part of moving, so here I am).

chief

I have enjoyed the Doc Ford books by Randy Wayne White, he is an ex-fishing guide and many of his stories are set on the west coast of Florida near Sanibel.

Also, if you like over the top zany Florida fiction Carl Hiaasen and Tim Dorsey both write some pretty entertaining stuff for the escapist reader.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I have enjoyed the Doc Ford books by Randy Wayne White, he is an ex-fishing guide and many of his stories are set on the west coast of Florida near Sanibel.

Also, if you like over the top zany Florida fiction Carl Hiaasen and Tim Dorsey both write some pretty entertaining stuff for the escapist reader.
I had not heard of Tim Dorsey before but in a quick check on Amazon the covers and titles sound like Hiaasen. I love this kind of escape reading in summertime. Do you have a favorite book of his?