NFR What Am I Reading?

chief

I had not heard of Tim Dorsey before but in a quick check on Amazon the covers and titles sound like Hiaasen. I love this kind of escape reading in summertime. Do you have a favorite book of his?
They all kind of run together. I think Triggerfish Twist was the first one I read. I remember Orange Crush being one I liked. If you like Hiaasen I'm guessing you will like Dorsey.

I read a lot and prefer authors that don't go on and on with shit that doesn't matter, ie Tom Clancy as of late.,

Some authors I really enjoy, Clive Custler, Stuart Woods, Alex Kava, Wilbur Smith, and J.A. Jance, who happens to be a local scribe. There are a bunch of English and Scottish mystery writers that are really good also but can't recall names at the moment. However Arthur Connan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes are good reads as are the Agatha Cristy mysteries. A note of interest, Agatha has more published work than anything except the New Testament and Shakespear. Jack London wrote a lot more than The Call of the Wild and his writing is a great read. I have a soft cover of his complete works and re-read it about every two years, some great short stories.

Well Clive is Clive and kind of hard to describe but he moves things along and the protagonists are likeable and the plots fascinating. Woods is a smooth writer and his characters are very real and the plots quite feasible. Smith's novels are situated in Africa and in many cases historical. If you start reading him begin with The Burning Shore. That sets up a series. A stand alone is River God. this is about ancient Egypt and is suppose to be historically accurate. One of the best books I have ever read. J.A. Jance is a local writer and her Beaumont, Seattle detective and X-detective is the guy, series is laced with a lot of seattle landmarks and some history. Her Sherriff Brady series featured in Arizona are equally good.

Dave

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
They all kind of run together. I think Triggerfish Twist was the first one I read. I remember Orange Crush being one I liked. If you like Hiaasen I'm guessing you will like Dorsey.
thank you, chief! I like Hiaasen better than others, imagine Dorsey is same way - good summer reading!

Buzzy

Dug this thread up to share a book I just finished: Doc by Mary Doria Russell. Highly recommend it (pardon if it has already been listed), a tragic story of Doc Holliday. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

Mems

I like many of the authors you mention, so our tastes must be some what similar. Carlos Castenada and the Don Juan series were a favorite in college. Now I read more historical fiction. City of Thieves by David Beinoff is excellent. If you want a good Civil War novel, The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara is great. If you want to read the best book about New Orleans A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole is a classic. When I retire from teaching I am going to read again just for fun. Mems.

bakerite

On the European front, Henning Mankell for mysteries, but also a bunch of other books with a variety of themes. I second both the Shaaras, and have enjoyed the historical fiction of Benard Cornwell. Great thread here, especially with all this damn snow and ice keeping us from the stillwater over here.

My kids bought Kindle Unlimited for me so I have plenty to read. I've had a Nook for several years. They are both loaded. The Kindle is loaded with a lot of mysteries and I have found some series by British authors so I get a lot of European perspective. I also just finished The Feather Thief. It was very interesting. I don't read a lot of non-fiction these days but it was worth the time.

Was going to suggest Craig Johnson's Longmire Series. CJ Box is similar, and very good about a Wyoming Game Warden who bumps into all sorts of trouble.

Keith McCafferty's- Sean Stranahan novels are great. A fly fishing private eye in the west. As other mentioned, Ian Rankin, Jo Nesbo.

Going into the scandinavian crime with Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell is great also- I really liked his Kurt Wallender novels.

Christine Carbo has written a series of mysteries set around Glacier National Park.

As I think of more, I'll post them.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I can say I am reading Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain and Blue Highways by William Lest Heat-Moon...because the bookmarks are still where I left off in them...

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I just finished reading my favorite book of 2019 i think. Though of course i have many weeks to go.

“The Things They Carried” by Tim O’Brien. It is about the Vietnam war and is listed as a novel, but the author is writing about his own experiences, though you don’t know which ones are real and which are made up even after looking him up on the internet. I had read two of his other books years before but for some reason missed this one that won the Pulitzer Prize in 1990. It is not a thick book but if ever made into a move it would make such a great series as each chapter is a story on to itself. The book is not a linear plot but does include the same characters. Characters you really care about.