NFR What Am I Reading?

Check out Lyndsay Faye. I heartily recommend her book Jane Steel. There’s a PNW connection with this author, high school in SW Washington.

nic

Today, I walked past a group of 20 guys - all of them over 25, standing at the corner of the street mesmerized and frantically moving their fingers as fast as they could on their phones.
Apparently, they had all gathered at the corner to battle with other groups over a legendary Pokeman quest.

So it comes as a bit of a surprise to me that people in this day and age still actually read books.

The Bishop of Wakefield burned this book and many booksellers would only sell it in brown bags. Victorians were so scandalized by Jude the Obscure that it convinced Thomas Hardy to never write another novel.

It's a bit on the heavy side, so if you can only make it through a few chapters there's always the next Pokeman quest.

I read more this winter because of the weather but I always have a book going and usually read three or four days a week. It's good to keep the mind in good shape and it gives me something to do other that yard work or watching the television.

SpudFly

Should be fishing
I read the first in this series when it first came out because it was a fiction based on a really threat. With a fictional read for sure, with an eye on world events.

William R. Forstchen - "One Second After", and the rest of the "John Matherson" series.

Then if you like series reads about Special Forces, Military/Contract operator's, etc., Go here...
Vince Flynn
Brad Thor
Ben Coes
Brad Taylor
Jack Coughlin
If you enjoyed One Second After, you may really like my favorite post apocalypse book, The Earth Abides by George Stewart.

Another one that I enjoyed was Lucifer’s Hammer, but it has a very different kind of ending over The Esrth Abides.

Jojo

Trout Fear Me
I just finished a book that some of y’all might like. If you liked Krakauer’s “Into the Wild” or James Dickey’s “Deliverance” you might like “The River” by Peter Heller. Here is the book review i wrote on Goodreads.com.

The River” (March 18, 2019) I have read all of Peter Heller’s novels and have loved them all. I also happen to love survivalist stories because I’m not much for adventure and it’s my escape into that kind of world. Two young college aged men, best friends who share similar interests in literature and love for the outdoors take off on a canoe trip on a river in Canada, away from it all. They know what they are doing and are totally prepared for what they expect will be weeks of camping along the river on their trip. Things are fine at first, until nature (in the way of a forest fire) and people (in a James Dickey Deliverance kind of way) turns their adventure into a fight for their lives and the life of a person they rescue along the way (I don’t want to give away too much).

I loved these two young men, Jack and Wynn. Jack would be my go-to guy, should i ever need someone to lead me out of any Apocalypse. (Think of Jack as a little bit like Burt Reynolds in Deliverance). He has a sixth sense and a quiet way of saying “Give me a minute” when trying to figure out what to do that makes the hairs on the back of Wynn’s neck stand up because Wynn knows that Jack senses something is wrong. Where Jack is a great character who I want to keep me safe, it’s Wynn i would marry.

Wynn, is no slouch himself, for one thing he’s 6’4” and strong, but he is more trusting and kind, with a higher moral compass than Jack. (Though there is a reason Jack is the way he is that is described in a story about his past when he was young.).

The only thing keeping me from giving this book 5 stars is for a reason that others WOULD if they are outdoors people who camp and canoe on rivers, and fly fish (though i liked the fishing part because i do fly fly fish). The author describes in good detail about these things, including their gear and technique, which is not THAT intregal to the story for me since i am never going to take a canoe down a rushing a river. Also at times I had trouble picturing what was really happening and how grave the danger was in maneuvering the danger of the river and the fire closing in. I would really love to see a movie that showed me how close it all was. But some of the descriptions of the wilderness were so beautiful. Yes, definitely a movie would be great.

I think you may enjoy C.J. Box's books. He has a series called the "Joe Pickett" series about a game warden and his family in the Bighorns of Wyoming. A short summary of the theme of the series is that the game warden finds himself in the middle of high profile crime situations and treats them in a down-to-earth and rough and tumble kind of way. Definitely something I would look into. I think there are like 12 of them in the series now? I've heard people say that they have a similar feel to the Longmire books.

And you simply must read the Boone Linsenbigler books! I think they are fun, my wife says "stupid".
Fly fishing, booze, sword fighting, drug running, even Putin puts in an appearance in book #2.
Nothing serious about these books, although the body counts does get up there.
richard

SpudFly

Should be fishing
I just finished a book that some of y’all might like. If you liked Krakauer’s “Into the Wild” or James Dickey’s “Deliverance” you might like “The River” by Peter Heller. Here is the book review i wrote on Goodreads.com.

The River” (March 18, 2019) I have read all of Peter Heller’s novels and have loved them all. I also happen to love survivalist stories because I’m not much for adventure and it’s my escape into that kind of world. Two young college aged men, best friends who share similar interests in literature and love for the outdoors take off on a canoe trip on a river in Canada, away from it all. They know what they are doing and are totally prepared for what they expect will be weeks of camping along the river on their trip. Things are fine at first, until nature (in the way of a forest fire) and people (in a James Dickey Deliverance kind of way) turns their adventure into a fight for their lives and the life of a person they rescue along the way (I don’t want to give away too much).

I loved these two young men, Jack and Wynn. Jack would be my go-to guy, should i ever need someone to lead me out of any Apocalypse. (Think of Jack as a little bit like Burt Reynolds in Deliverance). He has a sixth sense and a quiet way of saying “Give me a minute” when trying to figure out what to do that makes the hairs on the back of Wynn’s neck stand up because Wynn knows that Jack senses something is wrong. Where Jack is a great character who I want to keep me safe, it’s Wynn i would marry.

Wynn, is no slouch himself, for one thing he’s 6’4” and strong, but he is more trusting and kind, with a higher moral compass than Jack. (Though there is a reason Jack is the way he is that is described in a story about his past when he was young.).

The only thing keeping me from giving this book 5 stars is for a reason that others WOULD if they are outdoors people who camp and canoe on rivers, and fly fish (though i liked the fishing part because i do fly fly fish). The author describes in good detail about these things, including their gear and technique, which is not THAT intregal to the story for me since i am never going to take a canoe down a rushing a river. Also at times I had trouble picturing what was really happening and how grave the danger was in maneuvering the danger of the river and the fire closing in. I would really love to see a movie that showed me how close it all was. But some of the descriptions of the wilderness were so beautiful. Yes, definitely a movie would be great.
I have not read a Heller book that I have not enjoyed.

Surprised Ivan Doig hasn't showed up on this thread yet. He grew up on a ranch in Montana in the 40s and 50s, later moved to Seattle and has written some fantastic fiction (and non-fiction) about the western landscape and western characters. This House of Sky was insightful, relatable and thought-provoking - definitely some stuff in there to mull over in those solitary fishing moments.
I love Ivan Doig. I just started Educated as Alexander Hamilton is about to get killed by Aaron Burr.

Latest posts