Alec Jackson Steelhead Irons

the_grube

Are they worth the extra cost vs. say a Umpqua TMC7999? I have the AJ's in #5 and the Ump's in #4. The AJ might be a bit heavier. It's a tad shorter and has more arch in the shank than the Ump. does. The upturn on the eye is more gradual on the AJ. It also seems like the finish on the AJ is 'shinier'... doubt the fish care, but maybe some tiers do?

Cost is $9 for 10 of the AJ's, and about $18 for the TMC7999's pack of 25; .90c a piece verse aprox .45c per unit. So, what would drive me to the AJ's vs. an Umpqua, Daiichi or some less expensive brand?

So yer flies look pretty when you post them on Speypages! The fish won't care...

For pretty flies I run the McNeese hooks. For fishing flies I run the Gammy T10 hooks. I had a bunch of the AJs and found them to be really brittle.

25 hooks for $18 is $.72/hook (not $.45) which brings the cost per hook closer. I think the AJ is a bit more sturdy than the 7999, I've bent a decent number of them.

My favorite hook is the daiichi 2151 but it's a straight eye. If I want upturned eyes I use the same Gamakatsu that Yard Sale mentions.

the_grube

Good information. I have some of the AJ's in #5 a bunch of the Umpquas, and one pack of the Gammy' T10s. I'll use them all and see what I like best. I did notice that smashing the barb on a few the AJ's gave that 'ping' sound as a small metal shard flew acrss my bench.

Interesting, the Gammy's seem to be the least expensive (shrugs a bit while trying to figure out the cost per unit..)

dogsnfish

I use AJ's and 7999's, just depends on the pattern. Both are fine. I like to tie as a hobby so think AJ's look better for some patterns, esp speys or Dee's. I use the steelhead irons and standard hooks. I use 7989's for skaters.

Salmo_g

Alec was a good friend for many years, decades even, but I only tie flies for the fly plate on AJ hooks. When Alec first introduced his hooks I could still buy Mustad 3399A for $1.38 per hundred that caught fish just fine. Later I found Eagle Claw 1199 for $3 or $4 per hundred, and I could turn over a couple good sized stones on a river bottom without resharpening them. If I'm tying the flies I fish with on pretty hooks it's because I found them on sale somewhere.

Last edited:
Good information. I have some of the AJ's in #5 a bunch of the Umpquas, and one pack of the Gammy' T10s. I'll use them all and see what I like best. I did notice that smashing the barb on a few the AJ's gave that 'ping' sound as a small metal shard flew acrss my bench.

Interesting, the Gammy's seem to be the least expensive (shrugs a bit while trying to figure out the cost per unit..)
I use a pair of round-nose beading pliers to roll my barbs over...no breakage on the AJ SIs.

Latest posts