What’s your tolerance for (sea) wee?

Just curious what everyone’s take is on dealing with sea weed on beaches. I fish a beach from time to time that is productive, but frequently full of sea weed at the shore and though I’ll catch fish, I spend a lot of time picking debris off my line or fly.

How do you all handle it when it gets soupy out there?

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
Generally I avoid beaches when they are in the seaweed stage of the tide (usually an incoming, not always).
However, I have caught some really nice silver salmon near thick rafts of kelp and seaweed. Baitfish sometimes shelter under the seaweed and attract gamefish. You just never know.

jasmillo

Since I am not retired yet, I have limited time to fish. As annoying as it can be, I tend to fish right through it if it’s around and that’s the time I have to fish. Make sure you have a basket and get out there.

As @DimeBrite mentioned, I have also found pretty decent fishing around big rafts of floating seaweed. I have not been targeting salmon nearly as long as many in this board but I had excellent luck casting weighted streamers (think clousers) to open pockets in the seaweed and stripping beneath it. I caught a lot of silvers doing that last year.

Kfish

I hate, hate seaweed... Not so much the big clumps but when it's a tossed salad out on the beach. Been meaning to tie some flies with weed guards but haven't been to the salt much lately due to the slow down this time of year.

I hate, hate seaweed... Not so much the big clumps but when it's a tossed salad out on the beach. Been meaning to tie some flies with weed guards but haven't been to the salt much lately due to the slow down this time of year.
Yeah - I was wondering about trying a weed guard. Might have to give that a try.

Smalma

As mentioned by others using a basket to keep the loose line from catching weeds is a must. If you are dealing with floating weeds using a full sinking line with rod tip in the water sometimes keeps the line and flies below the troublesome weeds; of course finding a "lane" into which to cast can be challenging.

At times I have gone another direction than tackleman and have actually gone to full sinking lines a long tippet (at least a couple feet) using stiff material and purposely left the trim ends on the blood knots in the leader long to act as weed "catchers"; weeds hang-up on the leader before reaching the fly. The upside of those weed "catchers" is during the casting process the weeds are snapped free of the leader.

Of course if the beach is really fishy but weed choke one can go full blown "Ira" and fish a suspended fly below an "indicator"!

Curt

nic

Just curious what everyone’s take is on dealing with sea weed on beaches. I fish a beach from time to time that is productive, but frequently full of sea weed at the shore and though I’ll catch fish, I spend a lot of time picking debris off my line or fly.

How do you all handle it when it gets soupy out there?
There's only one way of effectively handling annoying seaweed ... loud swearing!

When I know there's a productive tide coming up, but I also know it will be clogged with sea wede, I prepare in a very special way.
step 1. collect 100-200 kelp crabs.
step 2. release crabs into the water.
step 3. watch kelp crabs eat seaweed.
step 4. feeling content, drive home.

Dizane

Coast to Coast
Weeds suck, but those weed mats can sometimes hold bait and fish. I have caught everything from SRC to chinook in and around them. I just try to find clean spots and make sure to check my gear constantly to make sure it is clean.

As a kid I first learned to fish SRC by trolling triple teasers on spinning tackle. I would tie a small rubber band a few feet up the line to catch any weeds, very similar to Smalma's idea about keeping the tag ends of knots long. The rubber band worked well at catching the weeds and I caught a lot of fish with that setup.

Weeds suck, but those weed mats can sometimes hold bait and fish. I have caught everything from SRC to chinook in and around them. I just try to find clean spots and make sure to check my gear constantly to make sure it is clean.

As a kid I first learned to fish SRC by trolling triple teasers on spinning tackle. I would tie a small rubber band a few feet up the line to catch any weeds, very similar to Smalma's idea about keeping the tag ends of knots long. The rubber band worked well at catching the weeds and I caught a lot of fish with that setup.
Marty

Latest posts