SA Spey Lite (Scandi)

Anyone used one of these lines yet? I was thinking about the integrated 330 or 360 for a 6wt switch rod, but I also like the idea of maybe grabbing a lighter one like the 210 or 240 for a single hand rod.

I have a few Spey Light lines on my Microspeys and like them a lot. Sweet trout line for wet flies/soft hackle etc on lighter "switch" rods (mine are Winston MS). I use it for short period of time. Direction Madison soon and will know more.
Previously I used on switch such lines as SA SBT, Rio Single Hand Spey Line.. First to my liking to "chubby", casting like a brick (GPX, Skagit etc). Casting RIO feels nice but too long of a head for trout fishing!!! With RIO longer head I overshoot reasonable trout wet fly distance, too far without shooting! With 11tf rod + about 30-33 head, plus 10 leader and I am swinging Madison way to far to feel and control!!!. IN my opinion for that reason RIO is a misconception, line to show off your skills, but with poor practical usage.

New SA Spey Light line feels nice and it is shorter. Perfect for my needs (calssic spey casting and swinging for trout).

Having said that, if you want to use it cast FAR on large rover for steelhead, you will be better with running line/head setup or long belly spey/scandi line.

If you like classic casting and are not concerned bout distance too much, SA SL is a very sweet line in my opinion.

(What rod you considering it for, I am wandering?)

I have a few Spey Light lines on my Microspeys and like them a lot. Sweet trout line for wet flies/soft hackle etc on lighter "switch" rods (mine are Winston MS). I use it for short period of time. Direction Madison soon and will know more.
Previously I used on switch such lines as SA SBT, Rio Single Hand Spey Line.. First to my liking to "chubby", casting like a brick (GPX, Skagit etc). Casting RIO feels nice but too long of a head for trout fishing!!! With RIO longer head I overshoot reasonable trout wet fly distance, too far without shooting! With 11tf rod + about 30-33 head, plus 10 leader and I am swinging Madison way to far to feel and control!!!. IN my opinion for that reason RIO is a misconception, line to show off your skills, but with poor practical usage.

New SA Spey Light line feels nice and it is shorter. Perfect for my needs (calssic spey casting and swinging for trout).

Having said that, if you want to use it cast FAR on large rover for steelhead, you will be better with running line/head setup or long belly spey/scandi line.

If you like classic casting and are not concerned bout distance too much, SA SL is a very sweet line in my opinion.

(What rod you considering it for, I am wandering?)
I am considering it for an Echo3 11' switch #6wt for small water SH floating line applications, which is the majority of my steelheading on a day to day/year to year basis...Trinity, North Umpqua, Gualala, etc. 50-60' is a long cast and an S6 is a heavy tip. Also using it for swinging mice and streamers on bigger trout rivers here in CA -- Yuba, American, Lower Sac, etc.

On my 5wt (Redington Dually switch) which I use as a sister rod for similar purposes, I use a running line and Rio scandi body. I initially tried a switch chucker on that rod and hated it and relegated it to my chronomid beach line for pyramid lake because it roll casts "well enough". As you said, it cast like a brick, I am looking for an integrated line that feels a little lighter/more delicate.

I do not know the rods you have.
!!!!!:
The lines I described and enjoy are Light Spey Scandi!!! I think for tip and mousing you will be better with Integrated Skagit!!!! I was talking about Scandi for my trout fishing!!!! I have Skagit but did not tried yet.
If you think Skagit can be too "bricky" (almost alweays is :) not a pretty casting method), try SBT SA. Rolls fine and can carry lighter tip/mouse in my opinion. I use Integrated Spey Light SCANDI for trout fishing/small fly fishing.
(PM Me for new SBT, I can let you try it and if you do not like them, send back and I pay you back, no problem. Just try, not abuse and you will see. You risking $3 shipping cost)

tridentfly

@PV - I've fished the 270gr (I think) Scandi Lite on the Sage 2wt Trout Spey - Great little line if you're looking to single spey on a small rod.

Latest posts