Unsticking zippers

mbowers

One of my biggest peeves is metal zippers near saltwater. They are going to corrode and get stuck. I try to use plastic or velco if I can find them but it's not always possible.

I was working away on a couple of stuck zippers and while looking for WD40 came across CLR (Calcium, Lime and Rust remover) . Put some on and the CLR started to bubble up so I knew it was working. A couple of doses and some moderate pulling with pliers got all 4 zippers unstuck in record time!

Kroil. This stuff is amazing at getting metal things unstuck, and prevents them from corroding or rusting. Anyone that has a boat or works on old machinery would be wise to try this stuff out.

mtskibum16

Nice. Worth a look. Every year I realize I forgot to seriously rinse my zippers before hanging the waders up over the winter (or any extended time), and every year I get to fight with a bunch of frozen zippers. This year the zipper on the chest pocket of my waders looked especially bad. First tug and the ring that holds the zipper pull broke. I need to get it open to get a couple things out, but it will be pretty useless after that.

XP

Redington wader zippers rust and corrode extremely quickly. Maybe they should start selling CLR with them.

XP

Nice. Worth a look. Every year I realize I forgot to seriously rinse my zippers before hanging the waders up over the winter (or any extended time), and every year I get to fight with a bunch of frozen zippers. This year the zipper on the chest pocket of my waders looked especially bad. First tug and the ring that holds the zipper pull broke. I need to get it open to get a couple things out, but it will be pretty useless after that.
Sounds like a Redington wader scenario. I've done the exact same thing. Oh shoot the zipper is corroded! Better pull harder on the rubber- then they both break haha

I treat the zippers on my waders with Boeshield t-9. I tape the margins of the wader material so that only the zipper teeth and fabric are treated. I still rinse my waders after every outing, and I haven't had a Redington zipper seize up yet. Try it.

Cool advice, the zippers on my float tube pockets & Simms bum bag always stick, have been thinking about trying baby oil instead of WD40!

Hi, Adam. I buy the T-9 as a liquid rather than the spray. I use an art paint brush to apply it to the zippers. I can saturate the teeth and fabric components which I dry with a hair dryer set on "low". The T-9 is a wax rather than an oil, so the application lasts a long time.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
LPS-3 would probably work also. That shit never dries. They pulled in a couple of older A/P to do some work on them When I worked at Boeing. They peeled the Blankets back and the LPS was still wet. The planes were old versions of the -3oo.

Bees wax is a great lubricant for zippers. If that’s not available try a lip balm - it’s primarily made of bees wax. I’ve had luck with Corrosion X getting zippers free, but I appreciate the tip about using CLR.

Latest posts