Trip Report Ode to Baker County, Oregon

bakerite

I went home for Memorial Day weekend after a couple of weeks spent in tri-cities. The Lupine was blooming at my house. DSCF0275.JPG
There was a little haze, but everywhere in the valley has great views. DSCF0271.JPG
The reservoir was full when I got there, still a couple of spots in the campground. I walked in across the elk feeding area to the far end where the inlet was running full bore! DSCF0254.JPG
The fish were stacked in the outflow, and the fishing was great, I used balanced leeches and it was indicator down, often right after it hit the water. The fish were mostly last years fry plants running 11-13" with a few larger fish close to the creek. DSCF0235.JPG
Sometimes I would space out looking at the view. This is the campground and dam end of the lake with Rock Creek Butte in the background. DSCF0236.JPG
On the way out I stopped to take pictures of some of the wildflowers that change weekly or so this time of year. I love fishing for bass and trout in the basin in the spring, but there is something very special about this little valley most people drive by on the way to Boise. DSCF0253.JPG

Last edited:
Nice chunk of Oregon. Buddy’s family pioneers in next county, Union. Owned the Cove Hot Springs where there was a swimming pool fed by the springs, cost $.025. Used to borrow a mule from his uncle and pack into the wilderness.
Good memories, thanks.

bakerite

Cove pool is still happening as far as I know. There is another hot springs resort right by LaGrande, also there is a great one about 5 miles from where I live in Haines that was unofficially open for a donation, that is now closed since the owner died at 95. It's a great part of the country that is luckily behind the times!

I lived in Baker Co. for a couple years.
I worked a ranch in North Power, with the N. Power river running through the back yard.
I caught some might fine trout

Yeah after being in the tricities I can see that where you live looks like a bit of heaven. I spent many a hot summer day fishing Oxbow and Brownlee. I am dying to get back to that country. This just pushes me that much harder to go.

Latest posts