Checking out waders other than Simms

Rick, I have a similar problem. Inseam 28" waist 38, chest 48, they don't make them for my fireplug body. I also want a zipper (is that so you can pee out while wading?

I've had a pair of Redington zip fronts for the last couple of years and I'm on my 4th pair (after 3 replacements). They're nice waders, but usually start leaking in the crotch seams after 6 to 8 months. They've been really good about replacing them, but it sounds like they're going to start cracking down on replacements. I'm going with Simms next time.

tallguy

After 7 years of use, hundred of hours and many miles of walking, and getting leaky feet, sent my patagonia ones in for new feet. Told them it was normal wear and tear and i wanted to pay for the repair, it was certainly not a defect.

They repaired them for free, and sent me a note saying thanks for not buying new ones! Loved it, thats a company i can respect. Customer for life now i think.

IveofIone

So what is the consensus on waist waders? I am just back from fishing fast rocky streams in Idaho and Montana and both pair of my old waist highs leaked. I need to order new ones immediately but this thread hasn't filled in the blanks on just what is the best bang for the buck.
Any updates?
Ive

Old Man

Just an Old Man
So what is the consensus on waist waders? I am just back from fishing fast rocky streams in Idaho and Montana and both pair of my old waist highs leaked. I need to order new ones immediately but this thread hasn't filled in the blanks on just what is the best bang for the buck.
Any updates?
Ive
Well where is your report on your trip.

I love my Redington Sonic Pro waders and I've owned quite a few different brands over the years. There are two features I would like change.The first is that the shoulder straps are great but honestly they just don't compare to the high end Simms system, purchase the pads available from Redington for some additional comfort. The second is that they are not easy to get really clean. I like to take care of my gear and the various colors of clay and mud are a bit difficult to get out of the lighter color fabric. I use soap and a scrub brush when I get home because spraying them down doesn't get the job done to my satisfaction. It's a minor nuisance that could probably be solved with some stain gaurd or a similar product. I haven't contacted Redington to ask if there is a product that's safe to use so it might be a non issue. Otherwise they are very durable and have held up to a year of my constant abuse without issue. When I'm on the water you can find me plowing through whatever vegetation stands between me and a good run, (devil's club and blackberries be damned there's fish to be caught) I crawl over logs without a second thought and my body hasn't stopped me from climbing/crawling up the near vertical river banks just to get a look yet. If I'm using boat then I'm wearing out the seat of my pants on the sticks trying to get whoever is casting that perfect drift. They don't have a wear spot on them yet. With the comparable quality and a price tag that's a whole lot easier for a fish bum to swallow than G3s or 4s it's hard to go wrong. The cut and fit are the best feature by far and is extremely comfortable. I couldn't wait to try them on. After unpacking them the night they arrived I put them on to check the fit. Something caught my attention on TV so I sat down on my couch and dozed off five minutes later. I've never owned a pair of waders that are so comfortable. My next pair of waders are going to be another pair of Redingtons without question.

IveofIone

I have a pair of Redington pant waders coming to the North 40. After that I will be custom ordering some G3 bibs...I’m worth it.
Glad to see you start to release that death grip on your cash!:D Once we retire the next big event we have to look forward to is our funeral so we might as well spend down some of the overhead. Come on over and I'll drive you out to Dave Smith's to pick up that new truck.

Ive

snarlac

My Simms waders have finally bit the dust after 20 years. I'd like another pair with that durability but their sizes don't fit this short guy with small feet. Their booties fit size 9-11 and I wear an 8.5. Also my inseam is around 29 and theirs is 32-34. Needless to say they fit like shit.

My choices are Redington or Orvis. They have sizes that would fit me fine. What I don't know is how they hold up. I'm 99% still water fishing so I'm not tough on waders, but I don't want to have to replace them in a year or two.

Any feedback on those two brands...?

Thanks, Roper
The Redington you bought is the correct choice. Simms don't fit everyone (suck bad IMO) and the Orvis straps will drive you nutz.

Was getting time to replace the G3's and I was looking for an alternative. Purchased the Redington Sonic Dry Fly Zipper in September '16. I have maybe 20 days on these waders. Was fishing the Naches a couple of weeks ago and quickly discovered I was getting wet. I stepped out onto the bank and inspection revealed the seam in the crotch had separated. I have not idea what caused it, but seems to be a defect (My wife said it was probably due to a large fart). I called Redington, they said to send them in for an evaluation. So we will see...