3wt imx pro shortspey line recommendations...

ryc72

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a 3wt loomis imx pro shortspey and could use some help with lines. I’ve only fished two handed rods once before so I’m very much a newbie that has done some reading on 2 handed casting and lines but with practically no first hand knowledge and experience. I’m hoping to use it swinging and stripping streamers on the little Juniata river in pa (and with any luck the south holston river in tn at the end of this month). The little j is probably 60 to 80 ft wide and 1 to 5 ft deep with most of the water that I fish being closer to 2 to 3 ft deep with speed being faster than walking pace with more riffles than runs or pools. I would want to swing and strip mostly small streamers for now...size 8-10 zonkers, size 8 sculpins, size 8-12 wooly buggers, some with beads and cone heads. I know this is a highly subjective question and there is no right answer but I’m gonna ask it anyway, how would you line this rod? Things I’m considering, sa spey lite integrated skagit and opst commando heads with 25lb lazer line as I feel like I’ve read about those two in various forums and seem to be generally well liked. What line, grain, and tip setup would you recommend and why? Could I get away with a scandi setup for the flies I’m planning on using or would I just be making it harder on myself? Would love to hear the opinions of much more knowledgeable and experienced people. Apologies if my terminology is off, still lots to learn. Thanks in advance!

cmann886

Check the discontinued Rio Scandi Body at the Gorge Fly shop in a 4wt. (The same body as the Rio Scandi versi tip) for $24. They have some 5wt. Replacement tips that are $10 each and weigh 55 grains. The streamer sizes that you have described are not a problem for me with this set up. For larger streamers, e.g. Dali-llama I use 12 lb fluoro without a replacement tip. This set up will easily cover 60-70 feet at the flick of a wrist if paired with OPST Lazar line in one of the lighter weights and might actually cast too far to easily and cause you to focus too much on casting and not enough on fishing.

The Gloomis rods that I have all have enough back bone that I am confident you would have a good match for the rod with the 4 wt. body and at a great price...once you get more proficient at casting you will likely change your taste on head weight (for soft hackles and unweighted buggers I really like a 210 gr Scandi now and initially it was too light for me to cast) so I would get some practice on the type of a set up described for easy learning and go from there. For reference I have an ARE 12’ 3/4 and a 5 wt. LSI Switch from Cabellas and I have been happy with the Rio Scandi Body in the appropriate line weight for each of these rods. I have a collection of other heads including the Scout and Commando heads but believe this is a great starter set up with minimal initial investment and for me at least much more enjoyable than the Scout or Comando heads.

Last edited:

ryc72

Thank you cmann for your input and heads up. Will give that a try. What sink rate tip are you using? Or are you using the floating tip? Also gonna try the airflo Scagit scout 270 as well for some bigger/heavier streamers. Anyone have any other suggestions? Looking to to experiment a lil bit.

cmann886

I picked up a full set of tips and duplicates of some while they were so cheap. I rarely use the floating tip but will use it more soon as I want to fish grasshoppers along the far bank that is hard too reach while wading. For an integrated line and some streamers, I also have an Orvis bankshot in a 270 grain that works well with several different rods my 3/4 a single handed 7 wt. . With the Scout, I feel like I am casting a spinning rig instead of a fly line...the Scandi and bankshot are longer lines and for me more enjoyable to cast. I have used Ambush lines and really liked them until I got the bankshot...I liked it enough better that I sold them and tried other lines.

I own this rod and fish it primarily with smaller streamers and large soft hackles. I've stuck with skagit heads and have been able to make them work well, even for the soft hackle work. My setup is currently the 270gr skagit scout with the Rio "light" iMow tips in full float, intermediate, and several of the T7 configurations. I would say the intermediate and t7 5ft/5ft are my most used tips. I tack on 2 to 4 ft of straight Maxima ultragreen at the end in the 6 to 8lb range.

I have OPST head but prefer the Scout because A) given the length of the rod you really have to have a compact stroke not to blow your anchor with the OPST and B) the Scout has a more delicate taper (if you can call skagit delicate) then the OPST. As water levels drop I'm going to add OPST 12ft tips to the end of the Scout.

Being new to the two handed game by best advice would be whichever style (skagit or scandi) you pick, pick one and stick with it. Even seasoned casters struggle to jump back and forth between the two styles. imx-pro-line-recs.jpg

thank you so much for your input. that is very very very helpful. im going to try the skagit scout and a short scandi head and see which one is a better fit for me at this stage of the game but im guessing that ill probably lean skagit over the long haul. hopefully will be breaking it in on the south holston in a couple of weeks. thank you again for sharing your opinion!

rich.

+1 for the Scout 270gr. It's been very flexible for me in tossing t8 or even t11. You can also do an integrated line like SA Skagit Lite or Rio's Single Spey. For the Rio, use a 6wt line. Use the Rio for tossing smaller bugs like soft hackles.

ive been going back and forth on the integrated line aspect. i like that its all said and done with the integrated line and have read that its a lot easier to strip as well which is a positive for me. for the integrated skagit lite what grain would you recommend? 270 as well?

I like the integrated aspect for stripping line, but also because you're sorta stuck with that line unless you buy another spool for your reel. Which means you're going to be getting a lot of practice with it, which I think is good as a beginner. I would recommend the 270gr skagit lite. Grab 10-12ft of T8 and some 6lb or 8lb tippet and you're set.

Latest posts