Shad run on the Columbia River 6/8/2018

I had some friends who cleaned them and cut their fins off and their heads and stuffed them in quart jars and pressure canned them. They use shad like we would tuna. The bones break down like in canned salmon. They became their "fish stable" for each year. They taste fishy.

I had some friends who cleaned them and cut their fins off and their heads and stuffed them in quart jars and pressure canned them. They use shad like we would tuna. The bones break down like in canned salmon. They became their "fish stable" for each year. They taste fishy.
Yup, exactly what I do. I think I put a few pics/serving suggestions a few pages back. Everyone I have try it is shocked at how good it actually is.

That's a huge number of shad! When you say "we" how many fisherpeople are you talking about? (BTW, you must be pretty brave to admit to using gear on a fly fishing forum. :) )
There was 3 of us. I’ve never made any secret I’m not a purist...lol.

Little tip though...they use each other scent to follow each other up river. Wipe your fly or lure in the slime when you catch your first one...or any fish thereafter.

Starman77

There was 3 of us. I’ve never made any secret I’m not a purist...lol.

Little tip though...they use each other scent to follow each other up river. Wipe your fly or lure in the slime when you catch your first one...or any fish thereafter.
Oh, oh... I think you're just digging a deeper hole by first admitting on a fly fishing forum that you were using gear, and now adding on that you were using scent. Please don't tell us you were also using barbed hooks! :confused: :) Seriously, how did you ever find out that the shad use scent to follow each other upriver? I'll admit that the shad do have an odd smell to them that is different than other fish.

Yeah I don’t care what anyone says. This guy did not go there and fly fish. I went yesterday absolutely no room for someone to fly fish at the dam without getting into a fist fight. Second the wind down there at the dam was very persistent and strong too. Not even my commando head could break through it with a double haul. So I was the net guy cause when I became a fly fisherman I made an oath to never pick up a gear rod again. I didn’t plan on breaking that oath for the “poor man’s” salmon game. If you are going to fly fish I recommend staying away from the dam and finding a spot off one of the islands In the river. You’d be much better off than at the north Bonneville Dam.

We all have our opinions. I was giving my advice to people who think there is a possibility to fly fish here at the n Bonneville Dam since this is a fly fishing forum. Clearly a bunch of people tend to forget that though :p

We all have our opinions. I was giving my advice to people who think there is a possibility to fly fish here at the n Bonneville Dam since this is a fly fishing forum. Clearly a bunch of people tend to forget that though :p
Bonneville is a terrible place to try to fly fish. John Day, however, is a different story.

Also, in the 10+yrs I've been very active in this here forum, I've forgotten all kinds of shit. I suggest you try it sometime.

Last edited:

Starman77

When it comes to catching fish of any sort my money is on a well rounded fisherman like @veilside180sx over a fly fisher who turns up their nose at gear every day of the week.
Hey, Nick... Just wanted to make sure everyone noted my emoticons in my poking a little fun at the use of gear and scent, as I sure don't look down on gear fishermen. It just struck me as kind of funny to have a gear guy posting on a fly fishing forum; but I don't have any problems with that at all. I often say that a good gear fisherman will outfish a good fly fisherman 10 to 1 on average (but not always), whether we're talking about shad, trout, bass, walleye, salmon or steelhead, as gear in the right hands is so much more effective, especially when used with bait or scent. Apologies to @veilside180sx if you were offended by my comments.

Oh no worries at all. Your post was just fine!
Nothing wrong with poking fun.

I just find it amusing how some fly fishers act like gear fishing is the most evil thing on earth and fly fishing somehow makes one a better person. IMO i strongly believe that being an experienced gear angler can only make one a better fly fisher, and I've never understood those that turn up their nose at gear fishing or act like using gear is so simple it's cheating. Just seems like turning your back on an awful lot of potential knowledge and experience.

If i have my choice i will always prefer to catch fish on the fly, however i have a ton of gear fishing experience and believe that being able to draw on that experience does nothing but make me a better fly fisherman.

Anyway, just being defensive i guess. And none of it was directed at you. It was obvious to me that you were just having fun :)

Hey, Nick... Just wanted to make sure everyone noted my emoticons in my poking a little fun at the use of gear and scent, as I sure don't look down on gear fishermen. It just struck me as kind of funny to have a gear guy posting on a fly fishing forum; but I don't have any problems with that at all. I often say that a good gear fisherman will outfish a good fly fisherman 10 to 1 on average (but not always), whether we're talking about shad, trout, bass, walleye, salmon or steelhead, as gear in the right hands is so much more effective, especially when used with bait or scent. Apologies to @veilside180sx if you were offended by my comments.

Latest posts