Shad run on the Columbia River 6/8/2018

Starman77

Did you consider your waterboatmen fly Rex when you realized stripping flies work? ;):D:D:D
I haven't considered using my T-Waterboatman pattern, mainly because I don't think water boatmen exist out in the ocean, but I'm sure it would work because most any fly I've tried for shad seemed to work. Now you make me want to go back down there to the John Day Dam to try it out. :) Now, I know that your honking big bass flies wouldn't work because the shad wouldn't be able to get their little mouths around it.

I use a plain gold hook.

they're shad. They're not feeding. It doesn't matter. They'll eat anything shiny in front of their face. It's like a cat swatting at something you dangle in front of its face.

I use a plain gold hook.

they're shad. They're not feeding. It doesn't matter. They'll eat anything shiny in front of their face. It's like a cat swatting at something you dangle in front of its face.
Evan told me this last year. I still couldn’t help myself and tied flies with all sorts of crap on them.

Fly tying is a disease.

Evan told me this last year. I still couldn’t help myself and tied flies with all sorts of crap on them.

Fly tying is a disease.
I still bring flies with me every time I go out (about twice a week). I'll run flies for a while, then my inner dirtbag comes out and I put the gold hooks on. The gold hooks always out-fish the flies.

BDD

I have some upcoming training in Hermiston next week. Anybody have success by bank or boat below McNary? Sure would be fun to catch some fish in the evening rather than hanging around the Holiday Inn...fly or gear...shad, bass, walleye, or whatever.

Klickrolf

This is still building...try below the JD dam if you can get there tomorrow. Weekends will be busier and therefore more problematic for the fly fisher type.

Klickrolf

I honestly think a two hand rod is the key to casting in heavy wind. It's much easier to keep your line low to the water and add additional line speed if desired. Casts don't usually look good but if the jig turns over it doesn't matter. Two hand rods are useful while fishing shad...no need to duck as you chuck.

BDD

I honestly think a two hand rod is the key to casting in heavy wind. It's much easier to keep your line low to the water and add additional line speed if desired. Casts don't usually look good but if the jig turns over it doesn't matter. Two hand rods are useful while fishing shad...no need to duck as you chuck.
Or if your not concerned about image and would prefer to perhaps use a better tool for job, you could use a spinning rod to cast your jig. ;)

Latest posts