Rattle tubes

P-FITZ98

Picked some up, wind is keeping me off the water, so I’ll play with flies. Anyone here played with them? Thinking bunny strip, jig hook, bang the bottom bass fly....

I really liked the idea of them. Tried it a couples times. Can't say that I noticed a production difference. But, I'm not a day-in, day-out warm-water fisher. That said, they can be pretty darn bulky to incorporate.

I really liked the idea of them. Tried it a couples times. Can't say that I noticed a production difference. But, I'm not a day-in, day-out warm-water fisher. That said, they can be pretty darn bulky to incorporate.
I dunno if they've truly made a difference, but my musky catch rate this year is way better than last....although, I've also made several other changes in my flies, so it's tough to pinpoint what it is...or just coincidence in all of the above.

I use that mylar tubing, melt one end to close it and slide the rattle inside, then lash it so it's sticking out off the bend of the hook. An added bonus is that it acts as an anti-foul piece as well. doing things that way makes it far less bulky than lashing it to the top of the hook.

Last edited:
I dunno if they've truly made a difference, but my musky catch rate this year is way better than last....although, I've also made several other changes in my flies, so it's tough to pinpoint what it is...or just coincidence in all of the above.

I use that mylar tubing, melt one end to close it and slide the rattle inside, then lash it so it's sticking out off the bend of the hook. An added bonus is that it acts as an anti-foul piece as well. doing things that way makes it far less bulky than lashing it to the top of the hook.
Good info/pics--appreciate it! I think have have some mylar tubing tucked in a drawer somewhere, I'll dig it out. Looks better and/or easier than the thread-wrapped super-glued belly bulge bs I came up with. :rolleyes:

P-FITZ98

I tied up some stuff on 3/0 jig hooks, looked great, tried them last weekend, no dice, but my bass gear guru buddy didn’t have any luck either, so I didn’t feel bad. Only thing I noticed was the tube gave it almost a neutral buoyancy. I’ll post a pic of fly later. They sink a lot slower than I figured they would for the size. Easy to cast, but I was using a 10wt.

Inside some tubing hanging off the end of a hook covered with a tail is a good way! Tying under the shank will make the fly swim correctly, hook point down, but will interfere with the hook gape space! Tying on top of the shank will make the fly swim on it's side! I found tying my articulated pike flies, that if I tied the rattle on the top of the hook shank it gave to much extra weight & the hook wanted to hang straight down, i started tying on top of the articulated shank & the weight made it swim on it's side! Now i ty the rattle underneath the articulated shank & they swim correctly!

Look at Flagler's Cable Tie Craw on Vimeo. He uses rattles for the eyes of a crayfish pattern. He inserts them into a cable tie, tightens it, clips the tie, and then attaches it to the hook shank. This technique could also be used for rattle eyes on streamers. The crayfish pattern works very well.

Latest posts