Advice needed for best fly lines

Having been an active fly fisher for many years, I have not fished in 20 yrs. I'm now planning a western trout river trip and need to replace old fly lines and no experience with the new lines available. What's the best weight forward lines for a Sage 490 SP and Sage 690 RPL? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob Allen

Cortland 444 wf4

On my 6 wt i am fishing a cortland trout boss makes a good streamer line.
Rio gold might be another good choice
It's a little heavier than a standard WF so it'll throw bigger bugs without being overkill.

Porter

Oh my fly lines in the last 20 years is like Seattle area housing .... variety and expensive!!!

Curious what was your previous lines?

Speyrod GB

I have a RPL+490-4 and use a Wulff 2 tone triangle taper. I also have a RPL+ 690-4 and use the 7wt Wulff saltwater taper on it. I really like both lines, better than any Rio or SA lines I have used in the past 10 years.

nb_ken

The Sage SP and the Cortland Peach taper were designed around the same time. They'll probably still pair up nicely.

The RPL is a little faster. Probably hold up to a modern line a little better. You can go a few different ways with a 6wt - from mayflies to baitfish. You should figure out how you're gonna use it and work backwards from there to a line.

Also, 20 years is a long time. Unless you were 15 when you quit fishing, that RPL might be a little faster than you remember it. You might want to overline it a little. Slow it down some.

When in doubt, get a Rio Gold. Only trout rods I ever had that wouldn't cast a Rio Gold wouldn't cast anything.

Last edited:
Oh my fly lines in the last 20 years is like Seattle area housing .... variety and expensive!!!

Curious what was your previous lines?
SA WF Trout lines. Considering RIO Trout LT and/or RI
The Sage SP and the Cortland Peach taper were designed around the same time. They'll probably still pair up nicely.

The RPL is a little faster. Probably hold up to a modern line a little better. You can go a few different ways with a 6wt - from mayflies to baitfish. You should figure out how you're gonna use it and work backwards from there to a line.

Also, 20 years is a long time. Unless you were 15 when you quit fishing, that RPL might be a little faster than you remember it. You might want to overline it a little. Slow it down some.

When in doubt, get a Rio Gold. Only trout rods I ever had that wouldn't cast a Rio Gold wouldn't cast anything.

Old lines are SA WF Trout Taper. Going to look at RIO Trout LT for the 4wt and RIO Gold for the 6wt. I was 42 last cast; headed back to the same stretch of river next month, with the same group of friends. Horse pack trip into the headwaters of the Yellowstone. Google Hawks Rest Ranger Station. Thanks to all for your kind thoughts!!

nb_ken

Old lines are SA WF Trout Taper. Going to look at RIO Trout LT for the 4wt and RIO Gold for the 6wt. I was 42 last cast; headed back to the same stretch of river next month, with the same group of friends. Horse pack trip into the headwaters of the Yellowstone. Google Hawks Rest Ranger Station. Thanks to all for your kind thoughts!!
Both those lines will work fine. Niether will intrude, in any way, on your trip.

Enjoy.

kmudgn

Asking about what is "best" fly line is like asking "who is better: Superman, or Batman". Everyone has their own opinion. Go to you local fly shop and try some lines if possible. If not, you will end up buying what the clerk suggests anyway. The amount of difference between quality lines is so small that 99% of fly fishers couldn't tell the difference anyway.

@nb_ken - I agree. I use Cortland lines (444SL and 444Peach) for my old IM6 rods. They match up well with the action and taper of the rods. 'Modern' day lines are designed for current rods - generally stiffer and fast+ action....