What's your Coho setup?

I'm an 8 wt, Outbound Short full intermediate and huge stinger clouser guy myself.

A salty six weight will handle those fish just fine in most cases, I prefer the 8 mostly because I like fishing huge flies. Not the biggest Rio fan anymore but the OBS is still the best line I've found for throwing huge junk

9' seven wt fast action, large arbor Hardy CLS 5000 with three cassettes loaded with a floater, intermediate and full sink. Baitfish, clousers, hot pink, chartreuse Alaska flies.

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
6 weight Scott Radian 9'6" and 6 weight Scott Meridian 9'0" fly rods. Nautilus NV-G and Bauer CFX4 reels. Scientific Angler Streamer Express and Rio Coastal Quick Shooter fly lines in 6 and 7 weight sizes.

When the weather gets very stormy, I'll use my 7 weight Sage Z-Axis 9'6" fly rod.

Bagman

This will be the first year that both elbows are not hurting, so I will not start out with my Loop 11 foot 6wt switch rod, but I will still be using a loop Evotec 7-9 reel with a 8wt Rio outbound short on a sage Xi2 8wt, or Sage RPLXI 7 wt. The fly I will start with a 1/2 and 1/2, in pink, white, and chartreuse.

XP

I don't think the rod, reel, fly or line set up is all that important for beach coho but its fun to talk about gear so this is what I use.

690 Xi3 with clear long headed clear intermediate with a small pink or chart clouser. I might start using a 40+sinking line on this rod more since I can cast it a mile and it cuts through wind and current.

or

890 X with clear long headed clear intermediate with a large pink or chart clouser. In a perfect world I would use a pure distance rod instead but this is my all around 8 weight and it's pleasant to cast all day.

Many thanks to you all for sharing your setups! I think I'm going to be picking up a Rio outbound short for my 8wt...

@XP curious what you think are the more important aspects to focus on for beach coho?

holtad

I'm on a 7wt Sage Salt, paired with Hatch +7, and an Airflow 40+. I'm either using a pink/chart clouser, or flawing sandlance/herring patterns.

Agree w/ XP through, name of the game is being at the right location & the right time (done by some skill, a lot of luck, a ton of early mornings @ the beach or a combo of all three). I also try to fight my self-doubting inner monologue and channel @Stonefish who will tell you that more time with your fly in the water is the best way to increase your chances. Changing files/locations (during that session) a ton is counterproductive!

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
I've never fished for Coho (Silvers) anywhere but Alaska. Most were in the 9-16 lb range. I use a Sage 890 RPLxi with an Abel reel. I have a few spools, WF floating, Teeny 200. My favorite flies are Clousers and articulated Dolly Lamas.

fullsizeoutput_26c.jpeg

Are the Cohos you WFF anglers are catching off the beach in the Sound in the size range as Alaska?

holtad

I've never fished for Coho (Silvers) anywhere but Alaska. Most were in the 9-16 lb range. I use a Sage 890 RPLxi with an Abel reel. I have a few spools, WF floating, Teeny 200. My favorite flies are Clousers and articulated Dolly Lamas.

View attachment 170784

Are the Cohos you WFF anglers are catching off the beach in the Sound in the size range as Alaska?
Beauty of a fish. I think most of us on the PS beaches consider anything 7lbs+ to be a "big" fish. At least that is my take given that for the odd fish that goes 10+ there a A LOT in the 4-6lb range. Or I may just be jaded from a couple years back when the catch was plentiful but tiny.

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
Thanks for the feedback, gents. Here's another photo of a Silver that had made it a lot more miles inland than the previous Silver photo I posted which was taken on the Peninsula near Becharoff Lake.

IMG_0257.JPG