Favorite Hex flies

A.A.

Headed to Almanor in a few weeks for a family reunion. We will be staying at a PG&E camp (Conery) on the south side of the lake. Turns out will be prime time for the hex hatch, which I’ve never had the privilege of fishing. I’ll have my drift boat. From what I gather, evenings in “Geritol Cove”, start with full sinking lines, then intermediate, then dries as the evening comes to a close. Sound right? Any favorite hex imitations for the different stages? I probably won’t have time to tie any up so I’ll place an order for some. Looking forward to getting the kids into some fish. Bass will be fun too. Thanks for any info! PMs welcomed and appreciated.

Skip Enge

My favorite is for during an evening hatch...simple...
Mustad R43...pinched barb
tan thread, mallard flank feather barbels tied in the butt
dub with yellow or pale tan mixed with yellow or pale yellow green
forward tied hunk of yellow dyed deer hair...whip fininish head

great silhouette so freakin' easy to tie, floats high until it doesn't ...false casts generally take care of that ...since it can be a bit phrenetic...or pretreat them...

Headed to Almanor in a few weeks for a family reunion. We will be staying at a PG&E camp (Conery) on the south side of the lake. Turns out will be prime time for the hex hatch, which I’ve never had the privilege of fishing. I’ll have my drift boat. From what I gather, evenings in “Geritol Cove”, start with full sinking lines, then intermediate, then dries as the evening comes to a close. Sound right? Any favorite hex imitations for the different stages? I probably won’t have time to tie any up so I’ll place an order for some. Looking forward to getting the kids into some fish. Bass will be fun too. Thanks for any info! PMs welcomed and appreciated.
Almanor is a Lake that I would love to fish someday. Let us know how you did.

When fishing the Hex Hatch - the method you mentioned above is about right. There is a good news/bad news situation when it comes to Hex Hatches. The Bad news is that once the trout start keying in on the Hex's exclusively, it can be tough to catch them until the hatch occurs. That means that you fishing can be tough through out the day - the fish can have lockjaw and just wait for the Dinner Bell coming later that evening when the hatch occurs. When possible, I try to my visit when the Hatch is just starting to kick off, meaning I can fish my standard patterns throughout the day (I am big fan of Rickard's Flies, Seal Buggers, Stillwater nymphs, ect, ect) and still have a possibility of catching some fish. Then as late afternoon rolls around, I will go to my Type V line and start fishing the Hex Nymph, deep. My favorite pattern is the Burk's Hex Nymph pattern:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/burkhex.htm

I skip the intermediate line step that you mention. Actually, never tried that - could be interesting I guess. But instead when I see the bugs on the water, usually around 7:00 to 8:00 PM, then I switch to my floating line and fish on top. My best Hex Dry Pattern actually just been a Yellow Simulator. However, during this time I do add the Hex Nymph as a dropper and catch a few that way. Usually by 8:30 or 9:00 the hatch is at full strength, I have my headlight on and cut off the dropper as it is pretty dark by then and you want to minimize your tangles.

Hex Hatches can be sporadic. If you nail it just right - it is a lot of fun - only last maybe 20 to 30 minutes but at that time it is full on big fish on big dries!

Oh, since you asked - I have an old SA Mastery Stillwater Internmediate Clear Camo line. I am not sure if they make it much anymore, it is a good line for me, work great, but alot of folks say it does have an issue with coiling, and it does, I guess I have just learned to deal with it. I have never fished an intermediate during a Hex Hatch - maybe I should try?

Good Luck!

Peach.

During the afternoon, try suspending a hex nymph (basically anything yellow sz 4-8, sz 6 is my go to just cause sometimes fish will bend the sz 8s on me haha) with soft hackle legs instead of rubber legs. Bonus points if it's windy. If not, twitch the indicator every 30-60 seconds or so. Long leader, like 12-15 feet, then put the smallest indicator you can on. I like to set depth at about a foot below where I can see down into the water. They will tap the fly a few times, that's why I like the small indicators, because you don't want to set until you see the indi being held under for a second. one of my favorite ways to fish the hatch. I do like slow retrieve takes, but the indicator technique just works more often for me

Skip Enge

There is a great pattern that is hinged...the #6 hook has a #8 cut offat the hook bend for the extended nymph body...articulated and ...chuck sink count down and erratically strip up from the bottom mimicking the nymphs behavior...

Latest posts