Fading of Fish & Wildlife Pass.....

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
So the state Fish and Wildlife Pass has been sitting on my dash since I bought my license.

I looked at it the other day and noticed that it was TOTALLY FADED. The only thing visible was the license plate number that I wrote in with a sharpie.

What now?? I have nine months to go before the pass expires!!! I guess I will take my chances and go to court if I get a ticket, but really......doesn't the department know that it is SUNNY in eastern Washington??

Merle

Not New, Just rarely post...
I had the same issue with several Discover Passes. When they print them on that thermal paper, it just fades to nothing very quickly. That's the kind you get if you order them online. But if you buy one in person at a State Park, they use this rugged weatherproof paper (like what big game tags are made of) and they fill it out with a Sharpie marker. Those hold up fine in the sun.

I called and eventually found someone in Olympia that would issue me one of the good ones, but only if I mailed back my faded one for them to exchange it. So I had to go a couple weeks without my pass but eventually got a good one in the mail.

Not sure if this is an option for the WDFW passes though.

Salmo_g

A significant segment of the WDFW workforce unfortunately has zero to less than zero concept of customer service. The notion that the Department has subjected its customer/benefactors to possibly being needlessly ticketed, fined, and inconvenienced goes right over their heads. Before the current iteration of the parking pass with the yellow hang tag, we were just issued the thermal paper parking pass. It was legal to display them on either the dashboard or left side rear window then. I routinely permanently taped mine to the rear window, and they invariably faded to nearly nothing in a few weeks. Never got ticketed, but under the rules of problem ownership I would happily take a ticket and the Department's faded parking pass to court and see if the judge didn't think this is WDFW's problem and not its customers'.

MotoBoat

I don't think printing a new one is a option. I tried that a couple years ago, which was not an option even for a fee.

I have been checked by a Warden while parked and having a WDFW parking pass clearly hanging from rear view mirror. My WDFW parking pass was not Sun bleached beyond recognition. But, parking pass was attached to my wifes "wild I.D. #" not mine. That was a problem even though one license number hand written in the 2 available spaces matched the vehicle license. I had not placed my parking pass, the one that came with my F & H license in the vehicle. That was a "I almost wrote you a ticket" moment.

So, in summary, your vehicle license plate connects your parking pass via "wild I.D. #" printed on your fishing or hunting license. Having two parking passes in the family, I am probably better off if both passes were sun bleached beyond recognition, in that way the state could not tell one from the other.

I suppose, if it came to fighting a parking ticket in court. State of WA would have to prove which parking pass was in the vehicle, using there faulty parking pass paper. A pass that is required to be placed in clear view. But, clearly where pass will be viewed by Sun light TOO!

Last edited:

Cruik

Please, somebody let theirs fade and get ticketed. I think it would be a hoot to contest the ticket and go to court. Before doing so, I'd make a public record request for all documents that discuss fading placards and make a big show of it in court. "If the words dissolve, you must absolve."

chief

I have the same problem with my actual fishing license. I pulled it out of its little plastic sleeve the other day, and it is faded to the point you can't read anything printed on it.... I purchased it online, and it is (was) printed on thermal paper. I really don't think I should have to be the one who has to go to the effort to get a new one printed. The thing only needs to last a year. If this was a private company that delivered such a terrible product they wouldn't stay in business long.....

KerryS

Ignored Member
A significant segment of the WDFW workforce unfortunately has zero to less than zero concept of customer service. The notion that the Department has subjected its customer/benefactors to possibly being needlessly ticketed, fined, and inconvenienced goes right over their heads. Before the current iteration of the parking pass with the yellow hang tag, we were just issued the thermal paper parking pass. It was legal to display them on either the dashboard or left side rear window then. I routinely permanently taped mine to the rear window, and they invariably faded to nearly nothing in a few weeks. Never got ticketed, but under the rules of problem ownership I would happily take a ticket and the Department's faded parking pass to court and see if the judge didn't think this is WDFW's problem and not its customers'.
More proof that WDFW does not care about the sportsmen and women of this state beyond whatever amount of money they can extort from our wallets.

Rob Allen

So the state Fish and Wildlife Pass has been sitting on my dash since I bought my license.

I looked at it the other day and noticed that it was TOTALLY FADED. The only thing visible was the license plate number that I wrote in with a sharpie.

What now?? I have nine months to go before the pass expires!!! I guess I will take my chances and go to court if I get a ticket, but really......doesn't the department know that it is SUNNY in eastern Washington??

My opinion buying it and using it satisfies your obligation if the state can't keep it from fading thats their fault and not your responsibility.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I see the fading thing as their problem, not mine.
As I've mentioned before, I display all the passes and when enforcement arrives I just throw up my hands and surrender!

Bought my first discover pass this year. Hated to do it since we here just a mile to the south don’t impose such tariffs.

Sounds like I may not need to buy another one, just let Mother Nature do her thing to this one.

In the end it all evens out.