Tired of Hero Shots

Anyone getting as tired as I am of hero shots of fish held out arms length to the camera in a way that distorts perception and makes the fish seem bigger than it is. To me it's a form of dishonesty. Let the fish be a fish. It's every bit as beautiful even if it's not a trophy. Don't try to make it bigger than it is.

I had a subscription to a couple British fly fishing magazines for a few years and one of the most refreshing things about them was that they avoided distorted perception hero shots.

Anyone getting as tired as I am of hero shots of fish held out arms length to the camera in a way that distorts perception and makes the fish seem bigger than it is. To me it's a form of dishonesty. Let the fish be a fish. It's every bit as beautiful even if it's not a trophy. Don't try to make it bigger than it is.

I had a subscription to a couple British fly fishing magazines for a few years and one of the most refreshing things about them was that they avoided distorted perception hero shots.
Me and my neighbor had a good talk about how a vast majority of it is just yahoo "grip n grin" shots. The beauty and art of fly fishing needs to be restored. I like to get up close focused shots of the fish against the water. I'd rather focus on the beauty of fish color and pattern than my ugly mug.

MattB

If you're gonna rip a fish out of his home with a hook through his face, you should at least make it the center of attention in a picture. A twelve inch trout looks like a twelve inch trout regardless of how close it is held to the camera.

I understand the hero shots of big fish, what I don't understand are all of the shots of little fish (often with parr marks) either in hand or on the bank. I've taken pictures of small fish when they're particularly pretty but it's always in my net or kept wet and I sure as hell don't post them for bragging rights.

What I do enjoy on Instagram are the clips of fish taking dries, always fun!

P-FITZ98

I agree with your sentiment, and it's one of the reasons why I don't use Instagram.
. Same here, don’t do the hashtag/ i-want-attention-and-fame bullshit. That is a lot of controversy in the fly fishing world. I’m not trying to get my face and name out , I just like tying bitchen flies and playing with big fish

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I understand the hero shots of big fish, what I don't understand are all of the shots of little fish (often with parr marks) either in hand or on the bank. I've taken pictures of small fish when they're particularly pretty but it's always in my net or kept wet and I sure as hell don't post them for bragging rights.

What I do enjoy on Instagram are the clips of fish taking dries, always fun!
Did you say small fish? Much more bragging rights with smallest than with largest. You got to document small, everyone knows that.

Otherwise, I'm with @Nick Clayton here. I don't take a lot of shots anymore, but I don't really care how others take theirs.