Tired of Hero Shots

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
What makes it boring? Glad you asked, Hey Ira!

So, a handful of occurrences constitute a change in what is considered common? That a small sample variation is enough to change the scope or definition? With that logic I can confidently say that President Trump is the greatest President of our lifetime, I heard someone say so and therefore it must be true. His approval ratings be damned, no, SuperDuperNeoConservative said he's the greatest, so it must be true. C'mon dude, you're reaching now.
My point has been from the beginning that hero shots are boring because they are only interesting to those that fish, and to the vast majority of folks that don't fish, don't really care.
Your argument being, because someone you know, or you personally, think that hero shots are interesting that means they aren't boring. No, this just means that your opinion lies in the minority.
So far we know that mainstream journalism and entertainment outlets rarely(like once in a decade) publish hero shots, only sport fishing mags and websites do so because it is relevant subject matter. We can conclude that they(hero shots) don't reach an audience outside of those that participate and are passionate enough to subscribe to these specialty publications.
We know that art and culture historians don't publish hero shots, because it really has not shaped who we are as a society or as a culture. A small piece for sure, and a large piece in certain regions, but not since the Roosevelt era has it garnered large chunks of air time, and money.
We also know that advertisers selling something not related to fishing, rarely use these types of portraits. Why would this be? I mean, it is a national past time and the amount of tackle available from vendors is enormous, but is no longer widely used on a national or global scale. I don't work in advertising, but this trend in advertising is the strongest red herring of them all.
So arts, entertainment, history, and commerce have all decided not to publish and or use these photos on a large scale.
Again, my point has always been that the hero shot is considered boring. I say this because, it is rarely used outside of the fishing community, as wide ranging as it is, does not drive our society. The fact that you need me to add a little asterisk and say, "Hey, there are some exceptions to these preeminent trends, but the trend is still there guise." is really quite amusing.

I honesty don't care if I am banned, I don't hold the connection to this community as tightly as you do. It's your world, I just stop by occasionally to help out folks with fishing matters I have first hand experience in and have the occasional discussion about relevant news in our little corner of the world. I've got thick skin, and I appreciate your concern, but I'll be fine. Unless you are trying to deport my favorite taco truck, then we've got beef :p

You take your time to reply, I appreciate that. The problem is that you keep changing your point as the argument continues. You started by speaking in absolutes. When you did that, we called you out on it. Now you are pulling back a bit. Now it is boring only in certain circumstances. When you spoke in absolutes, it was easy to find single pieces of evidence to refute your arguments. You do remember your absolutes right?

You take your time to reply, I appreciate that. The problem is that you keep changing your point as the argument continues. You started by speaking in absolutes. When you did that, we called you out on it. Now you are pulling back a bit. Now it is boring only in certain circumstances. When you spoke in absolutes, it was easy to find single pieces of evidence to refute your arguments. You do remember your absolutes right?
I'm not changing my points, just elaborating on how I came to the conclusions based upon the questions you and others present. My position remains absolute, my reasons involved some things that were implied. Next time I'll be far more explicit and specific.
1) Hero shots are boring because they all look the same. Same poses, same expressions, same filters, or same pre-set edits. There's no creativity, and even those that take the time to compose something creative, there's only so much you can do before the image morphs from hero-shot-portrait to something in a completely different category.
2) Hero shots are boring because unless you are a fisherman, the subject is meaningless to you. Only guides, lodges and outfitters have a stake in the genre, and that is primarily because they are trying to earn a living. Outside of the fishing industry? The photos basically aren't a thing. It does not matter what the medium is; unless it is on a platform catered to or marketed directly to fisherman, people won't care. Stock photography pages stopped buying them, because they have sold so few they lose money on the transaction. Art galleries, same story. I'm sure you've met someone that did buy that piece, is that even statistically relevant? Didn't think so. So in essence, non existent.
3) Hero shots are boring because they don't tell a story. Convey a brief moment of joy? Sure. But the story behind the fish is lost, and all we can see is that someone conquered a fish. It is this reason that art galleries and photo contests will laugh you out on your ass should you bring a blown up print of your latest angling conquest. Some of the most iconic photos of the last century depict human struggle, innovation and crowning achievements. It's why we don't show pics of Lee Wulff holding Atlantic Salmon next to the Moonrise photo from Apollo 11.
4) For a photo to be interesting, it as to have mass appeal. Ok, I'll admit I was kinda reaching with this one, but ran with it anyway. Ya got me.

Ouch, uhh...gut shot by your intellectual superiority. No mas, no mas!

Unchallengeably smart, and unmistakably cool. I simply cannot compete. One last question before I feebly walk away from this thread, tail tucked firmly between my legs; did you choose that avatar photo because you thought it was....not boring or not typical?
I was actually being kinda serious. You're the only person to pick up on my trolling, I was legitimately paying you a compliment.
The dude has been objectionably arrogant in this process, but yeah sure civil I guess.
So you have an problem with my arrogance? It's almost like, it was done by design...
Here's a Hero Shot that's all sorts of messed up...crooked, holding the subject closer to the camera to make it appear larger, no post processing...
C'mon dude, you know the only problem with that photo is that the snake isn't skinned, salted, and wriggling on the grill.

Last edited:

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
I'm not changing my points, just elaborating on how I came to the conclusions based upon the questions you and others present. My position remains absolute, my reasons involved some things that were implied. Next time I'll be far more explicit and specific.
1) Hero shots are boring because they all look the same. Same poses, same expressions, same filters, or same pre-set edits. There's no creativity, and even those that take the time to compose something creative, there's only so much you can do before the image morphs from hero-shot-portrait to something in a completely different category.
2) Hero shots are boring because unless you are a fisherman, the subject is meaningless to you. Only guides, lodges and outfitters have a stake in the genre, and that is primarily because they are trying to earn a living. Outside of the fishing industry? The photos basically aren't a thing. It does not matter what the medium is; unless it is on a platform catered to or marketed directly to fisherman, people won't care. Stock photography pages stopped buying them, because they have sold so few they lose money on the transaction. Art galleries, same story. I'm sure you've met someone that did buy that piece, is that even statistically relevant? Didn't think so. So in essence, non existent.
3) Hero shots are boring because they don't tell a story. Convey a brief moment of joy? Sure. But the story behind the fish is lost, and all we can see is that someone conquered a fish. It is this reason that art galleries and photo contests will laugh you out on your ass should you bring a blown up print of your latest angling conquest. Some of the most iconic photos of the last century depict human struggle, innovation and crowning achievements. It's why we don't show pics of Lee Wulff holding Atlantic Salmon next to the Moonrise photo from Apollo 11.
4) For a photo to be interesting, it as to have mass appeal. Ok, I'll admit I was kinda reaching with this one, but ran with it anyway. Ya got me.

I was actually being kinda serious. You're the only person to pick up on my trolling, I was legitimately paying you a compliment.

So you have an problem with my arrogance? It's almost like, it was done by design...

C'mon dude, you know the only problem with that photo is that the snake isn't skinned, salted, and wriggling on the grill.
Dang I'm slow sometimes.

plaegreid

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
What do you think would be more interesting to the average person(read: non fishermen)?

A close up of a 10” Brookie in full colors

Some random person holding a 16” brookie out at arms length with a goofy smile on their face?

Which one can you imagine being in a photogs booth at a street fair?
The little brookie might have a little more mass appeal, but generally the only people that would stop for either are anglers or people who care about fish.

g_smolt

Recreational User
Last winter, I had a month-long hanging at an art gallery in town that was about 98% fish shots. A few that might even qualify for the "hero" label according to some on this thread.

showposterSM.jpg

The show was a group effort - the curator of the gallery loved my IG feed and asked me to put together a suite of pics for others to be inspired by. I was initially skeptical, but the other artists made some fantastic pieces based on my photos and we hung everything side by side. Jewelry, coture, metalwork, a chandelier and a quilt were a few of the objets d'art inspired by my fish pics. A few of the faves...are they hero shots?

All Dressed UpSM.jpg

August1SM.jpg

ArmoredSM.jpg

Beach DragonSM.jpg

Sunset BellySM.jpg

Humpy DragonSM.jpg

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
@The T.O. Show is this a photo of you? I like this one because it shows the flyfisher and i like how he is angled and framed in the photo, plus just a really great exposure too. I wish i had a photo of myself posed like this! Or i wish i had taken it.
Yep, that's me. I'm not sure who looks better, me or the fish....

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
The old shots of a ton of trout, dead, threaded on a stick and held up by two people (like Gramps and Grandson) seem to have fallen out of favor. Similarly the pictures of a ton of trout dead on the front lawn lined up by size with the fishermen taking a knee and grinning beside their catch.

What would make for interesting commentary is the number of chickens the chicken eater eats in a year, represented with new dead chickens, lined up on the lawn, with the chicken eater kneeling beside them, same pose. Now I love eating chicken, more than trout, but the visual representation of how many chickens I have consumed per year is beyond me. though likely in the 40s. I am absolutely certain that consumptive representation would not be seen as heroic.

Last edited:

dld

What would make for interesting commentary is the number of chickens the chicken eater eats in a year, represented with new dead chickens, lined up on the lawn, with the chicken eater kneeling beside them, same pose. Now I love eating chicken, more than trout, but the visual representation of how many chickens I have consumed per year is beyond me. though likely in the 40s. I am absolutely certain that consumptive representation would not be seen as heroic.
Only if we also have vegetarians pose with the number of animals they killed by eating all their food.

Latest posts