Tired of Hero Shots

So in an effort to oblige the OP, we floated the Klickitat today through the canyon. Low water, some new scars on the freshly painted drift boat, and a really unpleasant thunder and lightning rain squall that had us laying on a gravel bar while the inside of the boat collected about 7 gallons of water.
Not even a bump, so no hero shot:(

JACKspASS

I very rarely take pictures of fish, scenery, etc.... To me, having pics is a great reminder of past places and fish. I need to take more. I bet Swimmy has a nice collection to fall back on when he is old and decrepit and can no longer do this. There is no such thing as too much. Some people will bitch about anything.

So in an effort to oblige the OP, we floated the Klickitat today through the canyon. Low water, some new scars on the freshly painted drift boat, and a really unpleasant thunder and lightning rain squall that had us laying on a gravel bar while the inside of the boat collected about 7 gallons of water.
Not even a bump, so no hero shot:(
Did the same Saturday, complete with hail and skunking.

Hero shots are boring. Point blank, end of discussion. Just look through IG and see how many of the same 18" fish(and each angler will insist they taped the fish @ 22") held in the same pose with basically the same composition. I honestly I could not give a fuck. Flooding IG with hero shots are for guides, outfitters, and lodges trying to sell their brand, and I don't begrudge them for that. Most of the everyday folks that do this, do it on account of their own narcissism. No knock on Swimmy, do you booboo. I hardly post the hero shots I capture because those are for the folks that caught the fish, and nobody else. They have the memories and the photo serves as a punctuation mark to their stories. For example:

This fish was caught by a man that beat cancer, every fish he gets is a trophy in my book. These days all he does is bounce between the coast and bonefishing destinations, dude has a pretty dope life and is a genuinely good guy. Is this photo visually striking? Yes. It just doesn't tell a story, and the story behind this photo is far more compelling than the photo its self.

Photos like this one are what I find intriguing. The landscape and it's dark ominous feel set the mood. The angler closest hanging his head for reasons unknown, but it would not take a genius to read his body language and guess what is going on in his head.
In the end, I won't begrudge anyone for how they choose to capture the moment. If you ever find yourself in a boat with me and wish to get a hero shot, I will happily oblige. Just don't be shocked if you see me losing my shit because I got a shot of two eagles dancing in the sky above you.

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
Hero shots are boring. Point blank, end of discussion.
This is your opinion, end of discussion.

But to continue the discussion, if they are part of a bigger story, I disagree. Check out this tr from last summer. Little bit of scenery, little bit of fish. Post 79. I can look at this kind of stuff all day.

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/129373/page-6#post-1297721

I do agree that if you are just scrolling through Instagram, they all start looking the same. The worst is the guide holding the pic with the dorky client in the background. Lame.

I can also tell a bit about the fisher by how they post fish pics.

Most of the everyday folks that do this, do it on account of their own narcissism. No knock on Swimmy, do you booboo.
Of course. Social media is the ultimate enabler for narcissistic tendencies.

They have the memories and the photo serves as a punctuation mark to their stories. .
Bingo.

And since this site wants to limit NFR posts, there are only so many topics we can beat to shit involving fly fishing...including this one. Posting a quick tr with a few pics is a nice way to add a little content and keep things fresh.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Guilty of not reading start to finish, more like front and back..

Anyway, one good thing about the guide holding / handling the fish for the shotS, he (you would hope) has good understanding of fish handling. People that don't are more likely to be squeezing, dropping, and overall taking more time than should be.

This is your opinion...
An opinion is a judgement or view not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Some facts for you to consider. There are no art galleries comprised of hero shots. If myself or anyone else were to enter a hero shot in a photography contest, they would be laughed out of the competition no matter what category it is entered in. Stock photography of hero shots is virtually non-existent because nobody asks for them. The only folks that hero shots appeal to are anglers; as you can see by this thread, it is not a universal appeal and now we come full circle to my original statement. Hero shots are boring.
...But to continue the discussion, if they are part of a bigger story, I disagree. Check out this tr from last summer. Little bit of scenery, little bit of fish. Post 79. I can look at this kind of stuff all day.

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/129373/page-6#post-1297721
A photo story is a good way to add context, but does not make the hero shot any less boring. I feel this is a topic you and I won't agree on, but as I said earlier I would have no issue capturing photos of fish you've landed should we ever find ourselves on the same piece of water.
...The worst is the guide holding the pic with the dorky client in the background. Lame.
Money changes things. Any guide that has been depending on this source of income for more than 2 seasons will echo this sentiment. You have it pretty bad out there in Montucky with college kids doing the guide thing not because they are qualified, but because the outfitter they work for doesn't have the bodies to accommodate all the bookings they have. So you get the blind leading the blind, hence all the corny pics and shitty etiquette.

Latest posts