Tired of Hero Shots

Tinker

Not all fish pictures are "hero shots"
I agree. They are "hero" shots just as soon as they've been posted anywhere online with someone holding up a fish waiting for the praise. Fish pictures that you keep to yourself or show only to your family and closest friends, however, are not.

Last edited:

Jakob B

I am confused. Is it only a “hero shot” if the hero is fully visible in the shot? Or, are pics of only the fish or ones which in which you only see the fish and the hero’s hands/ arms like the one @Darthmonkey posted also hero shots? Please edumacate me.
My impression of a hero shot is a shot of your classic "trout brah" donned in Simms waders hoisting a large brown or steelhead he pulled off a redd with a bead out of the water, while balancing his rod on his shoulders and flexing his company he is a rep for on his hat. His buddy then tries to get the perfect angle for 10 minutes so he can make the cover of the local fly magazine and get those Insta likes.
I believe any other picture besides that is just another fishing picture. I'm unsure is everyone is rocking the same definition

I am confused. Is it only a “hero shot” if the hero is fully visible in the shot? Or, are pics of only the fish or ones which in which you only see the fish and the hero’s hands/ arms like the one @Darthmonkey posted also hero shots? Please edumacate me.
The shot I posted is in fact a hero shot. A hero shot is one in which a fish has been subdued and photographed while in the care of/at the mercy of, the angler. Some macro shots of just the fins, or of the scale patterns could be classified as simple wildlife shots, but that is kind of a gray area. There are some shots that are cool and creative, fish eye guy photography has some on his portfolio of fish hooked and still being fought which is kinda cool.
We agree that you find hero shots boring.
I really can't tell if you are being intentionally dense, or just trolling right now. I was very clear in my previous post; nobody outside of the angling community finds hero shots remotely interesting, even inside this community it is not universally interesting to all. The reactions from the general public makes the ruling pretty clear, hero shots are boring.
I don't find this picture boring, therefore it is not boring. Fact @Darthmonkey so you can now suck it :)
Oh Ira, you wanna play too? Ok. Here's how Nick's photo is boring and pedestrian(No knocks towards you Nick, please don't take this as a jab at you)
1) The composition is all fucked up. Horizon is crooked, which wouldn't be a problem if the subject filled the entirety of the frame which he does not. You could save it in PS, but that is a tall order and would result in a weird aspect ratio.
2) The primary subject is not clear. Are we taking a photo of the fish, or of the angler. In either case neither is presented in a way that does justice to the subject. IE Boring.
3) No editing done to at least try make the colors pop, or bump contrast, etc. Which in a sea of other similar photos, how could it stand out? Exactly, it doesn't.
I could go on, but this photo is a snapshot. A cool moment between a father and son, but still a boring photo.
Darthmonkey 3
All comers 0
I know Joe, I know.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
The shot I posted is in fact a hero shot. A hero shot is one in which a fish has been subdued and photographed while in the care of/at the mercy of, the angler. Some macro shots of just the fins, or of the scale patterns could be classified as simple wildlife shots, but that is kind of a gray area. There are some shots that are cool and creative, fish eye guy photography has some on his portfolio of fish hooked and still being fought which is kinda cool.

I really can't tell if you are being intentionally dense, or just trolling right now. I was very clear in my previous post; nobody outside of the angling community finds hero shots remotely interesting, even inside this community it is not universally interesting to all. The reactions from the general public makes the ruling pretty clear, hero shots are boring.

Oh Ira, you wanna play too? Ok. Here's how Nick's photo is boring and pedestrian(No knocks towards you Nick, please don't take this as a jab at you)
1) The composition is all fucked up. Horizon is crooked, which wouldn't be a problem if the subject filled the entirety of the frame which he does not. You could save it in PS, but that is a tall order and would result in a weird aspect ratio.
2) The primary subject is not clear. Are we taking a photo of the fish, or of the angler. In either case neither is presented in a way that does justice to the subject. IE Boring.
3) No editing done to at least try make the colors pop, or bump contrast, etc. Which in a sea of other similar photos, how could it stand out? Exactly, it doesn't.
I could go on, but this photo is a snapshot. A cool moment between a father and son, but still a boring photo.
Darthmonkey 3
All comers 0
I know Joe, I know.
It is not boring. Fact! And yes I want to play. Good to find a player. I’m a bit sorry for you though that your life has brought you to such a point that you can’t find intrigue and admiration in things. All things can be attacked with a hyper critical lense, the ability to do so doesn’t make your points valid. Some critics found Hemingway boring, was he? Again in your unfortunate state of inability to see the entertainment where others do, you have somehow mistook your opinion for truth. That’s a bummer dude.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Oh give me a break... Most people's IG's are filled with pictures of whatever they ate for lunch. I'd rather look at beautiful fish and the millions of people on IG who follow content like that would agree. Fly fishing is a catalyst for my travels and adventures, so I choose to share those experiences with other people. Hero shots aren't boring unless you're talking about run of the mill fish, but in my experience nearly all wild fish are unique in their own way. I've never seen a 20" inch trout that was identical to the last 20" trout I caught. If the rest of the world can post 10 pictures a day of their mundane lives on IG, FB, or whatever, then there's nothing boring about posting pictures of cool fish you've connected with. I have two rules with this: 1) treat the fish with respect, 2) don't give away locations on the internet. Beyond that these gripes are just silly.

My impression of a hero shot is a shot of your classic "trout brah" donned in Simms waders hoisting a large brown or steelhead he pulled off a redd with a bead out of the water, while balancing his rod on his shoulders and flexing his company he is a rep for on his hat. His buddy then tries to get the perfect angle for 10 minutes so he can make the cover of the local fly magazine and get those Insta likes.
You mean, kinda like your avatar?

Dude are you serious? So fish pictures aren't allowed anymore unless they are professional quality? Maybe when he decided he wanted to document that his goals had nothing to do with impressing you.... Some of my favorite "hero" shots are shitty pictures because you don't always have a good camera and photographer at the moment, but that doesn't diminish the fish/adventure or make it any less worthy of a picture. For example:

This one, forgot the good camera in the pickup.

IMG_1701.jpg

This one, left the good camera in a different country.

IMG_20180308_123248_485.jpg

Those pictures are both from a phone because they were two of the most badass fish I've ever caught and I never thought for a second I shouldn't grab a picture because the internet pundits might criticize the quality. Everyone documents the places they go and things they do, and that's the way it's been since cameras became small/cheap enough for normal folks to have them. If the places you go and things you do all relate to fish then the pictures tell a story and are worth taking.

This fish was my hero last week.

IMG_20180618_095232_655.jpg

It is not boring. Fact! And yes I want to play. Good to find a player. I’m a bit sorry for you though that your life has brought you to such a point that you can’t find intrigue and admiration in things. All things can be attacked with a hyper critical lense, the ability to do so doesn’t make your points valid. Some critics found Hemingway boring, was he? Again in your unfortunate state of inability to see the entertainment where others do, you have somehow mistook your opinion for truth. That’s a bummer dude.
Feel sorry for me all you like, you don't know the first thing about me. I can recognize that Nick's photos are a nice day between a father and son, which is cool. The photos are also boring.
The points I was making, which have gone flying over your head, was that hero shots appeal mostly to anglers. The vast majority of us, could give a damn about a dude holding up a fish.
For a photo to be interesting, it has to have mass appeal.

...Dude are you serious? So fish pictures aren't allowed anymore unless they are professional quality? Maybe when he decided he wanted to document that his goals had nothing to do with impressing you.... Some of my favorite "hero" shots are shitty pictures because you don't always have a good camera and photographer at the moment, but that doesn't diminish the fish/adventure or make it any less worthy of a picture....
That is not at all what I said. I said, hero shots are boring. Doesn't mean they can't document a cool moment, or a punctuate a great fishing trip, but the hero shot is a boring photo. You could have a perfectly composed and edited hero shot, it is still boring. Is it cool to catch a new fish species? Absolutely. Just don't expect anyone that isn't an angler to give a fuck. The best response you'll get from a non-angler is, "Nice fish dude." Whether it is a cell phone snapshot or the best composition you got from a medium format DSLR.
...Keep defending that supposition, Champ....
Why not? Best argument I've gotten was, "But I think this, so you must be wrong." Nobody can dispute a single point I've made. Thanks for playing.

Oh and Billy, cute kid. Terrible photo. Keep trying.

Darthmonkey 7
All comers 0

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
For a photo to be interesting, it has to have mass appeal.
Lulz.

Again in your unfortunate state of inability to see the entertainment where others do, you have somehow mistook your opinion for truth.
"The Mike Houser era of Widespread Panic is the greatest rock band of all time." - swimmy

That is also a fact. Know why? Cause I said so!!

Latest posts