Tired of Hero Shots

This thread has run it's course. So, all of these fish pics on a fishing website are boring to most and in particular, the general public....great. Who cares. This is a fly fishing website, it should be no surprise that most of us get geeked up over corney fish pics. Keep the hero shots flowing, fellas.

Come on, Darth, let's see a notch in that loss column

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Feel sorry for me all you like, you don't know the first thing about me. I can recognize that Nick's photos are a nice day between a father and son, which is cool. The photos are also boring.
The points I was making, which have gone flying over your head, was that hero shots appeal mostly to anglers. The vast majority of us, could give a damn about a dude holding up a fish.
For a photo to be interesting, it has to have mass appeal.

That is not at all what I said. I said, hero shots are boring. Doesn't mean they can't document a cool moment, or a punctuate a great fishing trip, but the hero shot is a boring photo. You could have a perfectly composed and edited hero shot, it is still boring. Is it cool to catch a new fish species? Absolutely. Just don't expect anyone that isn't an angler to give a fuck. The best response you'll get from a non-angler is, "Nice fish dude." Whether it is a cell phone snapshot or the best composition you got from a medium format DSLR.

Why not? Best argument I've gotten was, "But I think this, so you must be wrong." Nobody can dispute a single point I've made. Thanks for playing.

Oh and Billy, cute kid. Terrible photo. Keep trying.

Darthmonkey 7
All comers 0
What flies over your head is the concepts of fact versus opinion. Throwing out numbered points with statements of opinion do not validate your arguments.

Dogs are boring.

1. They lay around on couches which clearly demonstrates a lack of motivation.
2. They bark at the same things, in the same way, the consistency leads to predictability which is so mundane.
3. Their food choices show an unsophisticated palate. Cat poop, really?

Irafly: Just give up now Darth, you are on the wrong side of this.
Darthmonkey: -17

For a photo to be interesting to has to have mass appeal? Wrong. For a photo to be interesting the individual looking at said photo has to find it interesting. Fact.

I get plenty of likes on IG and Facebook from non anglers. So again your claim that only anglers find them interesting is wrong.

You did a nice job of listing out the criteria that makes a fish pic interesting to YOU. You definitely win that argument every single time. But that is NOT a list of criteria that makes a pic interesting to all. That is Ira and other's point here.

The ironic thing here is that the criteria you laid out is pretty much found non stop on the IG pages of all the sponsored bros out there. You know, the type of stuff you claimed was the reason you weren't into hero shots in the first place. I like fish pics as much as anyone but get much more enjoyment out of looking at a "lousy" pic like Billy's than seeing some trout brah with a perfect picture of a brown trout that was taken by a professional photographer and editer. I much prefer to look at pictures that strike me as "real". I guess since that's my preference it must be fact.

The Backstreet Boys sold a bazillion records but i don't find them interesting in the least. Mass appeal means absolutely nothing.

What makes my picture interesting to me, and others I'd bet, is not the framing of the picture or some fancy editing, nor the focal point of the picture... Rather it shows an interesting moment in time. A moment that I enjoyed, have a picture of, and shared with others. It may bore you to tears, and that's fine. But that is simply your opinion. Don't confuse that with fact.

You seem to find a lot of confusion regarding the words "fact" and "opinion". Your knowledge of hero shots is obviously quite vast. Your knowledge of simple English words and concepts seems to be lacking.

And don't worry, I don't take any of this personal. I didn't take the picture after all. So it's my son who is a worthless SOB who has no hero shot taking skills. When he gets home from school tonight I'll be sure to ground him to his bedroom until he learns how to correctly frame a fish in a picture.

Dogs are boring.

1. They lay around on couches which clearly demonstrates a lack of motivation.
2. They bark at the same things, in the same way, the consistency leads to predictability which is so mundane.
3. Their food choices show an unsophisticated palate. Cat poop, really?

Irafly: Just give up now Darth, you are on the wrong side of this.
Darthmonkey: -17
Dude, your friends and family couldn't care less about seeing hero shots of your cute puppy napping on the couch, no matter how straight the horizon line is. Now, macro shots of your dog's butthole, meticulously color corrected to enhance the golden light of an August sunset...THAT is what your grandmother considers and interesting photo.

dld

For a photo to be interesting, it has to have mass appeal.
Hmmmm...things that have mass appeal:

Fast and Furious film franchise
Suburus
Kardashians
McDonalds
Dancing With The Stars
Facebook

Which of those is interesting in the slightest? Many may find them entertaining, but there aren't going to be university classes dissecting the nuances of any of them (the story and business model of Facebook aside--I'm talking about the day-to-day use of it).

Most things with 'mass appeal' are pretty much lowest-common-denominator, and not interesting at all. Things with mass appeal are safe and easy, they aren't challenging. The reason Art Wolfe is popular is because he hit the formula and creates many images from the same basic parameters...he does it well.

The reason Van Gogh wasn't popular is because he challenged the very idea of what art could be. Were it not for the impressionists, Picasso wouldn't have been the success in his time that he was.

Keep adding up those points.

I would much rather look at poorly composed pictures of people I know and care about, be they friends or family, than professional or near-professional bro hero shots. I love Nick’s and Billy’s and Ira’s photos, especially their kid photos, because they are friends and I am interested in their lives and the stories of their lives as told by their photos. I don’t do IG so I guess I don’t know how proliferated it is with hero stuff, but I never tire of hero pics of Liam or other hero kid fishing pics. And if this includes videos, well then @msteudel’s videos of his daughter Tenkara fishing will always keep my attention.

I would much rather look at poorly composed pictures of people I know and care about, be they friends or family, than professional or near-professional bro hero shots. I love Nick’s and Billy’s and Ira’s photos, especially their kid photos, because they are friends and I am interested in their lives and the stories of their lives as told by their photos. I don’t do IG so I guess I don’t know how proliferated it is with hero stuff, but I never tire of hero pics of Liam or other hero kid fishing pics. And if this includes videos, well then @msteudel’s videos of his daughter Tenkara fishing will always keep my attention.

hbmcc

Hmmmm.... Just saw a Reddit share for the first time. (Below, a Martian monkey?) Imagine the ozone burned from all the spam and data marketing memberships in all these generates

Latest posts