Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tired of Hero Shots

18K views 290 replies 81 participants last post by  Deceased 
#1 ·
Anyone getting as tired as I am of hero shots of fish held out arms length to the camera in a way that distorts perception and makes the fish seem bigger than it is. To me it's a form of dishonesty. Let the fish be a fish. It's every bit as beautiful even if it's not a trophy. Don't try to make it bigger than it is.

I had a subscription to a couple British fly fishing magazines for a few years and one of the most refreshing things about them was that they avoided distorted perception hero shots.

#193 ·
Got home today & my Bible was in the post box & my friends wife is on the cover! It's the only magazine i still subscribe to, used to be 4 from Finland & 1 from Australia, just ran out of room to put them! Not keen on the rod like a parot, fully extended arms always make a fish seem bigger, but look at the hands! The wet hands are awesome to see in this picture, it's a damn good habit to get into no matter how cold! Photography is their other hobby & both practice excellent fish handling skills! It is a awesome Arctic char & I hope Sue & Jojo like the girl power pic!
Fish Salmon-like fish Fisherman Publication Font

#218 ·
Last winter, I had a month-long hanging at an art gallery in town that was about 98% fish shots. A few that might even qualify for the "hero" label according to some on this thread.

Organism Fish Seafood Recipe Adaptation

The show was a group effort - the curator of the gallery loved my IG feed and asked me to put together a suite of pics for others to be inspired by. I was initially skeptical, but the other artists made some fantastic pieces based on my photos and we hung everything side by side. Jewelry, coture, metalwork, a chandelier and a quilt were a few of the objets d'art inspired by my fish pics. A few of the faves...are they hero shots?

Cuisine Baked goods Dish Fast food Wood

Water Liquid Fluid Snout Marine mammal

Grille Automotive tire Building Automotive lighting Mesh

Jaw Wood Organism Bone Grass

Water Orange Organism Fish Marine biology

Organism Lizard Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

#220 · (Edited)
The old shots of a ton of trout, dead, threaded on a stick and held up by two people (like Gramps and Grandson) seem to have fallen out of favor. Similarly the pictures of a ton of trout dead on the front lawn lined up by size with the fishermen taking a knee and grinning beside their catch.

What would make for interesting commentary is the number of chickens the chicken eater eats in a year, represented with new dead chickens, lined up on the lawn, with the chicken eater kneeling beside them, same pose. Now I love eating chicken, more than trout, but the visual representation of how many chickens I have consumed per year is beyond me. though likely in the 40s. I am absolutely certain that consumptive representation would not be seen as heroic.

G
#222 ·
What would make for interesting commentary is the number of chickens the chicken eater eats in a year, represented with new dead chickens, lined up on the lawn, with the chicken eater kneeling beside them, same pose. Now I love eating chicken, more than trout, but the visual representation of how many chickens I have consumed per year is beyond me. though likely in the 40s. I am absolutely certain that consumptive representation would not be seen as heroic.
Only if we also have vegetarians pose with the number of animals they killed by eating all their food.

#241 ·
Is a picture of your left hand holding a fish considered a "Hero Shot"? (I've captured my left hand a couple dozen times... and yes, it is huge!)
I take a lot of pictures of fish to prove I ain't lying on my fishing reports... they still don't believe me. View attachment 171590
. Hahaha... i love this shot!

#236 ·
I like em...the Fox song though is kind of like how I feel about Frankie Valley, Lou Christie, the 1910 fruitgum Company, Journey, any Fleetwood Mac with thee adenoidal one singing, the song Yummy yummy yummy, "don't Worry Be Happy",Axel Rose,Death Metal, Peter Frampton,and sorry but Tom Petty, winers, screechers, bubble gum music, New "country", polka music...anyway, hatin' over for now...these things are on my Song List for the Purgatory Waiting Room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.