Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tired of Hero Shots

18K views 290 replies 81 participants last post by  Deceased 
#1 ·
Anyone getting as tired as I am of hero shots of fish held out arms length to the camera in a way that distorts perception and makes the fish seem bigger than it is. To me it's a form of dishonesty. Let the fish be a fish. It's every bit as beautiful even if it's not a trophy. Don't try to make it bigger than it is.

I had a subscription to a couple British fly fishing magazines for a few years and one of the most refreshing things about them was that they avoided distorted perception hero shots.

#242 · (Edited)
In some circles, photography isn’t even considered art. The same way I don’t consider fly fishing or tying an art. Or the same way I don’t believe a car can be a work of art. Because each activity/ item exists to serve a purpose. Car to transport, fly rod and fly to catch fish.

Don’t get it twisted now y’all. I can appreciate things done well and are pleasant to look for. But to me ART exists solely to be a piece of art and serve no other function.

My homie Ted Leeson might agree.

Brain explosion. All previous posts have now been rendered invalid.

#243 ·
In some circles, photography isn't even considered art. The same way I don't consider fly fishing or tying an art. Or the same way I don't believe a car can be a work of art. Because each activity/ item exists to serve a purpose. Car to transport, fly rod and fly to catch fish.

Don't get it twisted now y'all. I can appreciate things done well and are pleasant to look for. But to me ART exists solely to be a piece of art and serve no other function.

My homie Ted Leeson might agree.

Brain explosion. All previous posts have now been rendered invalid.
Unless the item no longer is deemed functional, and is just that, art. I've seen flies tied for that very reason, rods hung on walls, boats as lawn decorations, photos of people with fish flung out in front of them as a hero. Now your argument is invalid.

#261 ·
#280 ·
Swung this guy up the other day. Had some dental work done recently otherwise I'd have put the rod in my mouth for the shot. Doc said 4 weeks until I can hold a Spey rod with my new chompers, just 2 weeks for single handers.

View attachment 172886
If you're holding a big fish like that, how would you get the rod in your mouth?, or better yet, balancing on your neck?!? , third arm?

#276 · (Edited)
I'd like to go ahead and formally announce my candidacy for internet scorekeeper. Here is my resume:

2015 WFF Rookie of the Year
2016-2017 Fly fishing fashion consultant
2018 Winning

Thank you for your support. It's humbling, but in my heart I know you didn't come here just for me, you came here because you believe in what WFF can be.
You MUST have all your fingers and toes to be the "official" score keeper...
Do you qualify?

Here's the most important counting digit..
Human body Jaw Gesture Finger Thumb

btw...this is not aimed at you Swimmy nor anyone else in particular.

#277 ·
Hero shots define your place in the page of endless posts...We all know you are a young dick when you post them......;) others that seem to "matter"post fashion influenced posts...the rest of us are just old dicks...that are sarcastically knowledgable...We know nothing anymore...we just like to cuddle here.

#279 ·
Heres my hero, so dumb he took with a jig still in its mouth! View attachment 171785
I've landed several steelhead that I'm pretty sure were never hooked by my fly but tangled in hardware already in the fishes mouth! One memorable fish on the N Fork of the Lewis had a flatfish in its mouth and could not even open its mouth! My fly was tangled in the snap swivel.

Cool picture!

#286 ·
Anyone getting as tired as I am of hero shots of fish held out arms length to the camera in a way that distorts perception and makes the fish seem bigger than it is. To me it's a form of dishonesty. Let the fish be a fish. It's every bit as beautiful even if it's not a trophy. Don't try to make it bigger than it is.

I had a subscription to a couple British fly fishing magazines for a few years and one of the most refreshing things about them was that they avoided distorted perception hero shots.
Hear! Hear!!

#KeepEmWet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.