NFR Monster catfish and carp caught in Green Lake, Seattle

dld

catfish are great eating, carp are okay eating, I don't know if I would eat any green lake fish,
I've heard that the greatness of catfish diminishes as size increases. I don't know, I've only ever ordered it or bought filets.

Cliff

About two weeks ago I chatted with two young guys near the North dock who were targeting carp, this guy looks familiar. Their rigs and setups looked so high tech and complex i asked about them. They were using specialized gear, rigging and baits, and they both had what almost looked like rifle rests to hold their rods. This was right along the path. They seemed to really know what they were doing.

By the way, I go on a week long kayak camping trip every year on the Colorado River below Hoover dam, and we catch lots of channel cats. They are good eating. Not as good as the stripers, though.

Skip Enge

I remember bow fishing for carp a couple of times in the spring high water at Smitty's pond on the lower washougal...late 60's...eh jamma? wading to above our waists...going all water refracted shooting of arrows attached to a line and spool on our bows...Red i think had a serpentine stainless arrow he used...once it stuck one it didn't fall out...

I grew up in Maple Leaf and would ride my bike to Green Lake all summer long. We used to stop at the Albertson's grocery by the community center and buy our bait: wonder bread and cod oil. Once we figured out how to catch the grass carp on a trout rod we forgot about the trout. I also used to see catfish swimming in the shallows under the willows by the Bathhouse Theater. Whoa. Flashback...

Skip Enge

I grew up in Maple Leaf and would ride my bike to Green Lake all summer long. We used to stop at the Albertson's grocery by the community center and buy our bait: wonder bread and cod oil. Once we figured out how to catch the grass carp on a trout rod we forgot about the trout. I also used to see catfish swimming in the shallows under the willows by the Bathhouse Theater. Whoa. Flashback...
we thawed out Rhodes frozen bread dough and added a smidge of strawberry syrup...that "recipe" I remember...Mirror and Common carp...One day slogging through the backwater , if i remember right at about 15-16 . I believe red shot two 20 lbr's one mirror and one common...weighed with the handy truthful De-liar fish scale... Ha! Should have measured there length with this...

Attachments

I tried eating catfish once....

Maybe it was the pond it came out of, but the taste was just like the smell - of the dirt- in the bait can - the worms came from - that we caught them on.... once. :cool: