NFR Monster catfish and carp caught in Green Lake, Seattle

dld

I've always heard you had to peel catfish, but every time I kept them I just filleted them like I would walleye, bass , panfish, or even trout. It was more akin to filleting a trout because of the skin, but all my fillets were fast and perfect. Why skin them?
Some of the best catfish I ever had was in a Vietnamese restaurant in south Everett. Little hole-in-the-wall place run by a couple and a tiny old lady. They do a catfish hotpot and leave the skin on the fish.

Funny story about that place--a friend and I found it and started going about twice a week. Usually we would be the only english-as-first-language people in there. It took about 6mos before the couple said more than, 'okay' to us. The food is so good that not much else mattered.

That guy is poisoning himself and his family by eating those fish. He must not be aware of the chemical treatments they do to that lake to combat the blue green algae.

"aluminum sulfate) and buffer (sodium aluminate) were pumped into tanks on the treatment barge and sprayed into the water through PVC pipes from the rear of the barge."

Even without the chemicals. It's a very urban lake. Tons of dog crap, lawn chemicals, gas, oil, etc. seep into the water.

An top of all that, why would you eat a carp or catfish? Nasty, dirty, greasy fish.
He just did it to exercise his "it's my right to keep fish!" and for his few days of internet/news glory. Can almost guarantee you these things will hit the trash.

Skip Enge

I've always heard you had to peel catfish, but every time I kept them I just filleted them like I would walleye, bass , panfish, or even trout. It was more akin to filleting a trout because of the skin, but all my fillets were fast and perfect. Why skin them?
to eat them ...and if I have blacked catfish again...it will be at a Thai or Vietnamese restaurant...I think the question why skin em is appropriate... But I learned to skin them from dad...and mom left the eggs on the counter next to the butter. ;)

jamma

I remember bow fishing for carp a couple of times in the spring high water at Smitty's pond on the lower washougal...late 60's...eh jamma? wading to above our waists...going all water refracted shooting of arrows attached to a line and spool on our bows...Red i think had a serpentine stainless arrow he used...once it stuck one it didn't fall out...
Yeah,that was our playground that time of year.Red actually used a spear gun while I used a mail-ordered stainless steel arrow that had a broad head style of tip that was annoying to use.I much preferred the fibreglass fish arrows.Nothing like having an unseen fish swim between your legs and then spook.

jamma

we thawed out Rhodes frozen bread dough and added a smidge of strawberry syrup...that "recipe" I remember...Mirror and Common carp...One day slogging through the backwater , if i remember right at about 15-16 . I believe red shot two 20 lbr's one mirror and one common...weighed with the handy truthful De-liar fish scale... Ha! Should have measured there length with this...
I remember that day well.Red and I split on the big fish,he took the mirror and I had the other.As I recall,mine was 32" and his 33".By that time,he had lost the rubber band device that launched the spear and got his fish throwing it javelin-style.Completely bonkers.

Skip Enge

Yeah,that was our playground that time of year.Red actually used a spear gun while I used a mail-ordered stainless steel arrow that had a broad head style of tip that was annoying to use.I much preferred the fibreglass fish arrows.Nothing like having an unseen fish swim between your legs and then spook.
forgot about the spear gun...Ha!

Troutlife

I personally can't believe that he kept in and didn't weigh it in. The previous state record was 36 pounds, would have definitely beaten it. Feels like an odd sort of karma to me...

Are those things edible? Probably fertilizer by now. Never been able to understand why just because something's big it's got to be killed. In many fish species the big ones are females.

Latest posts