Coho colors

jasmillo

I have been doing a lot of tying to fill my salmon boxes for this summer/fall. Concentrating on coho for now and tying a lot of stuff in pinks and chartreuse. I watched a series of videos on coho/king flyfishing in the salt in Canada on my commute the last couple days and they were all about the black over silver/white flies. What colors have been successful for you guys outside of the colors we all fish? Anything stand out?

When I got home, I realized I did not have a lot of black and silver tying material. Was able to come up with this with what I had. Nothing groundbreaking, a pretty common type pattern. Should catch fish though....

014DA485-747B-46D5-B43C-58852B14D9B1.jpeg

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Looks good. Just remember to give the fly a good soak before fishing it. Also, that bunny gets heavy when soaked, which may or may not pose some casting challenges.

jasmillo

Looks good! Should fish. Most people including myself like the pink and chartreuse, I think it's the UV hues/colors that makes it attractive to the fish. It's just something I have confidence in.
Yep, those have been my go to colors as well. Seems like most folks feel that way. What other colors are people fishing? Navy or purple of silver and white? What about reds or oranges?

Looks good. Just remember to give the fly a good soak before fishing it. Also, that bunny gets heavy when soaked, which may or may not pose some casting challenges.
I fish this pattern (or very similar) in pinks and chartreuse often. One of my favorites!

Shad

I like that fly...especially for feeding fish in the salt. Black over white imitates every baitfish that swims pretty well. Besides, when everyone else is fishing pink and chartreuse, you'll be the one throwing the curve ball, and that's often a good thing when fishing over salmon that aren't eager to bite most of the time.

Royal and metallic blue are usually good colors for me....

Latest posts