Trip Report Christmas Island

Amazing place, can't wait to return. Lots of triggers around, but super spooky. Bonefish were amazing, had two decent GTs eat flies and come unbuttoned. Learning curve pretty high, Im sure I will convert more shots into hookups on the next trip. Experienced it all from heartbreak watching a line go slack to elation when landing a bonefish that schooled me to a hungover guide that just wants to bait GTs to fantastic guides with Lazer vision helping me sight cast to 8 lb bones. Trip exceeded expectations. Couple highlights, bonefish get repetitive photo wise, but I could chase them everyday. OI000196.jpg OI000183.jpg OI000297.jpg OI000293.jpg OI000356.jpg OI000355.jpg OI000422.jpg OI000231.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Beautiful fish. What lodge did you stay at and how bad is the coral die off today? We learned 2 years ago from a group studying global warming and based at Ikari House that CXI is the epicenter in the S. Pacific. We went an entire without finding bones as so much coral has died, turning the flats into miles of white wastelands! I also enjoyed hunting triggers and GT'S too and would definitely go back again. Super bargain and intense sight fishing on foot. The bones are big as your pictures show. Nice milkfish too!

I
Beautiful fish. What lodge did you stay at and how bad is the coral die off today? We learned 2 years ago from a group studying global warming and based at Ikari House that CXI is the epicenter in the S. Pacific. We went an entire without finding bones as so much coral has died, turning the flats into miles of white wastelands! I also enjoyed hunting triggers and GT'S too and would definitely go back again. Super bargain and intense sight fishing on foot. The bones are big as your pictures show. Nice milkfish too!
Some super shallow flats had dead coral, but bonefish were everywhere. Conservatively I landed 150 bonefish.

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
CXI experienced coral bleaching in the El Nino of 2016, but has been recovering since. 99% of the live coral is on the oceanside, not within the Lagoon itself. CXI is loaded with bonefish of increasing average size and fishing has been very good to great, as SaltyCutt's report indicates.

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
Well done! Thank you for writing up your trip with some nice photos. Those bonefish look very healthy! Hope you get to return soon to land a big GT.

Amazing place, can't wait to return. Lots of triggers around, but super spooky. Bonefish were amazing, had two decent GTs eat flies and come unbuttoned. Learning curve pretty high, Im sure I will convert more shots into hookups on the next trip. Experienced it all from heartbreak watching a line go slack to elation when landing a bonefish that schooled me to a hungover guide that just wants to bait GTs to fantastic guides with Lazer vision helping me sight cast to 8 lb bones. Trip exceeded expectations. Couple highlights, bonefish get repetitive photo wise, but I could chase them everyday. View attachment 170975 View attachment 170976 View attachment 170977 View attachment 170978 View attachment 170979 View attachment 170980 View attachment 170981 View attachment 170984

Latest posts