scales?

Klickrolf

Ever wonder why most fish have scales but some don't? Seems there should be an evolutionary or biological reason...I don't know and have never really wondered, until the last few minutes. Catfish/bullheads don't but they live side by side of those that do. What's a spiny ray if it doesn't have scales, a bullhead? Wonder how many fish species don't have scales and why?

jamma

Generally speaking,any evolutionary development exists because nature allows it to,that is to say,as long as there is no particular disadvantage to the organism,certain features can persevere;for example,nipples that don't lactate on men.Now fish,again generally speaking,started out with bony plates for protection which over time have evolved into scales,which offer the fish greater freedom of movement in accordance to their environment while still providing a measure of protection.On some fish,such as catfish,the scales have evolved into spines that offer a method of self preservation.Basically,the larger the scales and eyes,the older the genetic lineage.

Krusty

Generally speaking,any evolutionary development exists because nature allows it to,that is to say,as long as there is no particular disadvantage to the organism,certain features can persevere;for example,nipples that don't lactate on men.Now fish,again generally speaking,started out with bony plates for protection which over time have evolved into scales,which offer the fish greater freedom of movement in accordance to their environment while still providing a measure of protection.On some fish,such as catfish,the scales have evolved into spines that offer a method of self preservation.Basically,the larger the scales and eyes,the older the genetic lineage.
Yup...genetic legacies stick around for a very long time if their contribution to survival is neutral. Case in point....my ability to process premium bourbons. My children, and grandchildren, seem to have inherited my vices, but are apparently surviving quite nicely.

Last edited:

Krusty

And ….who says my nipples don't lactate? Makers Mark infused mammary secretions could be very nourishing.