NFR Teardrop trailers - any insights?

Richard E

I have a 14 year old daughter with whom each summer I like to take on a road trip. I’ve thought the little teardrop campers/trailers could be fun for this, in lieu of staying in a tent. And, one would be easy(ier) to pull with my Outback.

Anyone have comments, insight, and observations about them? Maybe where I might be able to rent one, for a few days to max a week?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Skip Enge

The other benifit is you aren't in a tent...cooking in back under a hatch...add an awning and it's great.. easy to pull into primitive sites which i tend to prefer...and you get cosy with your partner...easy to back up hook up and you travel lighter than a tin can on wheels with all the appointed goodies from home...the whole idea is to get away and keep it simple. I am going to build one. I think i will be going retro...been collecting lighting and mid century stuff...

David Loy

Senior Moment
I have admired them too Richard. A dry cave to sleep in, along with a good tarp for outside lounging seems like a pleasant way to go. Would be a hard sell at home though for me.
Another option I like is a good tent trailer, also easy to tow.

jasmillo

No experience with Teardops but I did have an Rpod for a couple of years before getting something a little bigger. Loved it and you can cook inside :). Very easy to tow. That being said, it might be pushing your tow capacity with a dry weight around 2350 lbs for their smallest model.

GOGO like Mark stated. You'll need a 2" hitch installed...don't remember if you already have one. How about a graduation present: rent a Class B, like a Sprinter Van. Saw a 24' for $150 per night and you can still 'boondock'....within reason.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
for what they are I think rental is a bit spendy and fees additive...we have looked before...

https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/tacoma_wa/2017_handmade_teardrop_45012-listing

Skip they call their trailer the Pequod and describe it as a literary pun. Not sure they did their homework. The Pequod fell apart when attacked by Moby Dick. It is a nightmarish name. Maybe they could have done worse and called it the Amityville...

"Buoyed up by that coffin, for almost one whole day and night, I floated on a soft and dirgelike main. The unharming sharks, they glided by as if with padlocks on their mouths; the savage sea-hawks sailed with sheathed beaks. On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan...." Melville

Latest posts