TFO BVK 10' 5wt

IveofIone

I have wanted one of these for quite a while but have never spent $275 (almost $300 with tax) on a rod in the 67 years that I have been fly fishing. I had been checking regularly for a sale but everyone that sells it had the same $275 price. Today I checked to see if there were any Father's Day sales and to my surprise Amazon had the very rod I wanted for $170.98! With only 2 left I quickly ordered it and it arrives next week. I almost ordered it last week, I'm sure glad I waited. It pays to be patient at times. Still 1 left......

DBP

Just bought a TFO 3 wt signature II this week. I think I'm fair in guessing it's a lower model at $125, but still looking forward to getting it out in a week or two

Krusty

I've got two of the TFO BVK 10' 5wts. I fish them more than any other of my rods. You got a great deal!

And then...there were none left..... now I've got three...thanks for the tip Ive!

After 60+years of flyfishing I'm not much attracted to novelty, but I've learned that when I find something I really really like (such as the TFO BVK rods) I tend to buy several....knowing that my favorites tend to get discontinued, or morphed into something I don't much care for.

Great rods, decent warranty, and I don't have to shit my pants if I drop or lose one. I enjoy fishing more when I'm not worried about protecting the crown jewels.

Last edited:

IveofIone

Krusty, What lines are you using on your 5 wts? I will be mostly using the BVK's with a floating line and have 4,5 and 6 wt GPX on hand to start with.
For the past week I have been using my 10' 4wt to dry fly fish although it is advertised as a Czech nymphing rod. It turns out to be a very nice rod for big water, I could cast farther than I ever could with my 9 footers and reached fish that that were not accessible otherwise. Earlier this spring we were on a lake where we caught an obscene number of 17-21"deep bodied trout and although the 4 wt handled them I felt at the time I should be using a heavier rod. The BVK will no doubt become my go-to chironomid rod.

Krusty

Ive, I use a Sharkskin 5 wt GPX for the floater, and a Cabelas Prestige 7 wt clear type I for the sinker. On occasion I use an SA Pro Series 5 wt type II sinker. Most of the lakes I fish are quite shallow (like your 'home waters'),

I'm going to try a RIO gold 6 wt floater I sometimes use on an old Fenwick 7 wt. It's supposed to weigh out close to a 7 wt.

I was sceptical about using the 7 wt on the TFO, but a guy in the FF dept at Cabelas (whose opinion I trust) recommended it for the relatively stiff TFO 5 wt graphite. It works great....I've let people fish it and the most frequent remark is how well it gets distance.

I'll likely overline the TFO's with any new lines I purchase, despite the fact that more than a few flyfishers consider overlining indicative of poor casting technique. They're probably right, but I don't give a shit... it works for me!

Last edited:

Young Engh

My TFO BVK 6wt was the “next level” rod I purchased after using various kits and cheaper end reddington rods. It is an absolute tank. Really powerful. I’ve noticed that a lot of guides I’ve talked to tend to carry them or have them in their arsenal. I think you’ll have a blast with it. Although I’ve since upgraded, I still use the BVK for salt.

nb_ken

I'm kind of a gear junky. I buy and sell stuff all the time, just to try things out. If I don't like something, I'll sell it and try something else.

I'd had a couple of TFOs pass through the quiver. Didn't much care for them. I'd heard good things about the BVK and when I saw a 6wt at a good price, figured I'd give it a try. Maybe keep it as a backup to a high-end 6wt.

Holy moly. That BVK is my #1 6wt now. Sold that high-end rod, bought another BVK and had a couple weeks worth of walking-around money left over.

I usually overline mine with a 6wt GPX. Like it a lot. They run pretty much true to weight, at least with my stroke.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Just bought a TFO 3 wt signature II this week. I think I'm fair in guessing it's a lower model at $125, but still looking forward to getting it out in a week or two
I have a TFO 5wt Pro. 4 piece. I put a 6wt line on it and it became a cannon. I also have a TFO Finesse 3wt 7'9". It lets me fish all the smaller streams here in Montana. Got a 16" RB with it and I played it like a violin. Smooth.

Salmo_g

I usually overline mine with a 6wt GPX. Like it a lot. They run pretty much true to weight, at least with my stroke.
You're confusing me. If it runs " . . . pretty much true to weight, . . ." why do you line it with a 6 1/2 wt? What am I missing?

nb_ken

You're confusing me. If it runs " . . . pretty much true to weight, . . ." why do you line it with a 6 1/2 wt? What am I missing?
Age.

Used to throw a Rio Gold on just about everything trout. Now, anything more than a 5wt needs slowing down a little bit. 1/2 wt does it. My BVK is still an honest 6wt. I suspect Ive's 5wt is as well.

Last edited:

IveofIone

Okay, the rod arrived and here are my first impressions. Putting it together for the first time I noticed that the thread wraps were showing through the epoxy in several places. My Cabela's L-Techs and CZN rods look much better. And have better reel seats for less money. I took it down to the river to check out some lines and tried the GPX WF-5-F first of all. It didn't load the rod enough to make a decent cast and I quickly removed it and went on to the GPX WF-6-F. It was a little better but the distance and accuracy are lacking compared to my CZN 10' 4wt overlined with the 5wt GPX. I was really pleased by the CZN's long range and ability to make in the air mends on long cast. After several days with it in my hand it became almost like an automatic transmission with it's effortless presentation.

The BVK hasn't endeared itself to me with it's first impression but I'll give it a few more days before I decide whether to keep it or not. I wanted it to be able to hit the far side of the bigger rivers, throw a nymph and indicator package a longer distance and of course for cronie fishing. I ordered a 7wt DT to try on it before I give up. Right now I feel like it is more of a 6wt than a 5 and perhaps it will come alive with a 7wt line. The jury is out.

Old406Kid

Okay, the rod arrived and here are my first impressions. Putting it together for the first time I noticed that the thread wraps were showing through the epoxy in several places. My Cabela's L-Techs and CZN rods look much better. And have better reel seats for less money. I took it down to the river to check out some lines and tried the GPX WF-5-F first of all. It didn't load the rod enough to make a decent cast and I quickly removed it and went on to the GPX WF-6-F. It was a little better but the distance and accuracy are lacking compared to my CZN 10' 4wt overlined with the 5wt GPX. I was really pleased by the CZN's long range and ability to make in the air mends on long cast. After several days with it in my hand it became almost like an automatic transmission with it's effortless presentation.

The BVK hasn't endeared itself to me with it's first impression but I'll give it a few more days before I decide whether to keep it or not. I wanted it to be able to hit the far side of the bigger rivers, throw a nymph and indicator package a longer distance and of course for cronie fishing. I ordered a 7wt DT to try on it before I give up. Right now I feel like it is more of a 6wt than a 5 and perhaps it will come alive with a 7wt line. The jury is out.
Thanks for the honest input, I don't feel as bad about missing the "hot deal" now.;)
I have a variety of lines we could try the next time we're together unless you get it dialed before then.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Label me stupid. I had to go look up the acronym CZN. I don't try to keep up on all the new acronym's, so I have to look them up. Found the meaning.

Latest posts