TFO BVK 10' 5wt

IveofIone

Sorry about the acronyms OMJ but BVK is a lot easier to type than Bernard Victor Kreh as is CZN than Czech Nymphing Rod.
Dean, I was disappointed enough when I got home last night that I was going to just order another CZN in a 5 wt and send the BVK back. I really like the CZN but alas-it is no longer listed in a 10' 5wt. So if you get tired of yours let me know and I'll give you $20 more than you paid for it! Meanwhile, I'll go back to the river this evening and try some more lines, I did catch one trout on it with a parachute Adams but the river is really rippin' here and visibility is only about a foot.

Trout were still feeding in a seam but like some other rivers we have fished lately once the flyline hits the water the fly starts screaming downstream behind a big drag induced belly. The occasional decent drift was often rewarded with a strike.

Krusty

Okay, the rod arrived and here are my first impressions. Putting it together for the first time I noticed that the thread wraps were showing through the epoxy in several places. My Cabela's L-Techs and CZN rods look much better. And have better reel seats for less money. I took it down to the river to check out some lines and tried the GPX WF-5-F first of all. It didn't load the rod enough to make a decent cast and I quickly removed it and went on to the GPX WF-6-F. It was a little better but the distance and accuracy are lacking compared to my CZN 10' 4wt overlined with the 5wt GPX. I was really pleased by the CZN's long range and ability to make in the air mends on long cast. After several days with it in my hand it became almost like an automatic transmission with it's effortless presentation.

The BVK hasn't endeared itself to me with it's first impression but I'll give it a few more days before I decide whether to keep it or not. I wanted it to be able to hit the far side of the bigger rivers, throw a nymph and indicator package a longer distance and of course for cronie fishing. I ordered a 7wt DT to try on it before I give up. Right now I feel like it is more of a 6wt than a 5 and perhaps it will come alive with a 7wt line. The jury is out.
Sorry you're disappointed in the BVK. No one rod meets everybody's tastes. You got it from Amazon, so a return should be easy.

I got mine yesterday...it's a green shade, rather than the brown of the older BVK's I have. Don't see any blems on it., but haven't fished it yet to see if it performs differently. Maybe Saturday.

I will say that the line I like casting best with the BVK is the 7 wt intermediate. I think they definitely need to be heavily overlined for best results.

IveofIone

Day two Krusty. A whole new ball game. I loaded it up with a 444 peach 6wt DT and it just came alive in my hands. The weight forward seemed a little too digital but the added belly of the DT smoothed things out considerably. It carries a lot of line in the air effortlessly and I just had to slow down and let the rod provide the power. And it does have power! Now I can see why so many guys called it a rocket launcher, it is a nice long range rod. Glad I slept on it and thought it through, it is definitely a keeper. Now I'm anxious for the spring runoff to end so I can get a shot at some of those big river smallmouth that live in my neighborhood. The river came up again today and is now running near 59,000 cfs again. Jeez, that is a helluva lot of water!

Krusty

Day two Krusty. A whole new ball game. I loaded it up with a 444 peach 6wt DT and it just came alive in my hands. The weight forward seemed a little too digital but the added belly of the DT smoothed things out considerably. It carries a lot of line in the air effortlessly and I just had to slow down and let the rod provide the power. And it does have power! Now I can see why so many guys called it a rocket launcher, it is a nice long range rod. Glad I slept on it and thought it through, it is definitely a keeper. Now I'm anxious for the spring runoff to end so I can get a shot at some of those big river smallmouth that live in my neighborhood. The river came up again today and is now running near 59,000 cfs again. Jeez, that is a helluva lot of water!
Excellent! I was gonna offer you 80% of what you paid for that crappy rod!

Latest posts