New WDFW Director Chosen

BDD

Seems like a smart individual would want to stay away from this position. :eek: It is pretty much a no-win situation. But for the sake of improving fishing in WA I wish him the best and hope he's successful.

Salmo_g

He might be a great guy and otherwise well qualified, but his lack of any fisheries background concerns me. It appears he will rely on the two most influential people in the fish program for decisions affecting recreational fishery management. And those are the same two spineless managers who have been selling out freshwater stream sport fishing to unreasonable tribal demands over the past 2 or 3 seasons. The demands are unreasonable because they fly under the quise of conservation, without actually accounting for any meaningful or measurable conservation. Sport fishing lacks advocacy.

Sg

Krusty

He might be a great guy and otherwise well qualified, but his lack of any fisheries background concerns me. It appears he will rely on the two most influential people in the fish program for decisions affecting recreational fishery management. And those are the same two spineless managers who have been selling out freshwater stream sport fishing to unreasonable tribal demands over the past 2 or 3 seasons. The demands are unreasonable because they fly under the quise of conservation, without actually accounting for any meaningful or measurable conservation. Sport fishing lacks advocacy.

Sg
In most high level administrative positions one's direct experience decreases with every passing year. The key factor will be his willingness to listen to his technical experts. I've known many consummate technical experts that fail completely at managing large organizations. They are completely different skillsets.

SilverFly

In most high level administrative positions one's direct experience decreases with every passing year. The key factor will be his willingness to listen to his technical experts. I've known many consummate technical experts that fail completely at managing large organizations. They are completely different skillsets.
Yup, I've seen this first hand. The most technically competent dept manager I've worked for was a brilliant MIT grad. He was great with the nuts and bolts stuff, but was somewhat "less effective" with people and the political aspects of the job.

Hopefully Mr. Susewind is well equipped to navigate WDFW, and what's left of our fisheries, through the treacherous waters of Washington.

Latest posts