Yakima short trip

Spg

I will be in Yakima for work at the end of June and planning to sneak off for a few hours on the river mid-afternoon. I have been doing some research on locations within roughly half an hour drive, and it seems that the section up to Umptanum would be a good option with multiple access points. Naches river seems close too, but access is a little less clear from aerials.

I am thinking of bringing waders, but bank fishing would make me more flexible in terms of driving and exploring. Is bank fishing fine in that area or is it really a wader required kind of place?

Also, are there any permits etc required for that area? I saw a post about needing a BLM permit for some areas, I have a discover and WDFW pass.

I am open to hearing if there are better options, including anything running through the town or below. Don't need your secret spots!

Cheers

Greg Smith

I will be in Yakima for work at the end of June and planning to sneak off for a few hours on the river mid-afternoon. I have been doing some research on locations within roughly half an hour drive, and it seems that the section up to Umptanum would be a good option with multiple access points. Naches river seems close too, but access is a little less clear from aerials.

I am thinking of bringing waders, but bank fishing would make me more flexible in terms of driving and exploring. Is bank fishing fine in that area or is it really a wader required kind of place?

Also, are there any permits etc required for that area? I saw a post about needing a BLM permit for some areas, I have a discover and WDFW pass.

I am open to hearing if there are better options, including anything running through the town or below. Don't need your secret spots!

Cheers
The end of June is irrigation flow time. The river is big and the wading can be hasardous.

Cheers
The Yakima will be in irrigation flows and wading can be tough if not dangerous. The Naches is coming into shape now and should be better in two weeks. Calling Red's is a good idea. http://redsflyshop.com/

Greg

you can wade fish out of Cle Elum although it might be farther than you want to drive. In the summer it is warm enough where you don't need waders.

Spg

Thanks all! I might be able to stop in Cle Elum on the way back. From the info provided, it seems that spring and fall are the best times?

nb_ken

Yak's running 3200 CFS right now. Anything more than about 2000 makes wading prohibitive.

But, with those kind of flows, fish are stacked up on the banks trying to stay out of the current themselves. And there is bank access. I'd recommend up between Umtanum and Bighorn. Plenty of places to pull off the road and get to the water. Nymphs and hoppers. Watch your shadow.

3200 is plenty low to bank fish the Yak, especially if flows remain consistent. It will limit your wading, but as Ken said the fish will be pushed out of the faster water. If you're a nympher go with golden stones, Baetis and San Juan's in the soft seams and buckets. A sculpzilla can be deadly in deep undercut banks as well. For Dry's I use hopers, big attractors, caddis and various mayfly patterns. Keep an eye out for signs of hatches and let the river tell you what's up. Good Luck!

XP

Wading on the Yakima is tough. I’ve been finding more walk I spots lately though but it has taken a while. Also it’s pushing pretty hard in certain spots right now. You really notice that when you get out of the boat and wade.

Latest posts