9'6" 6wt Options?

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I am looking to possibly upgrade my Sage Pulse 697. It is a great rod, based on watching the line fly out there and all. I fish it as much as my next 3 rods, but not because of the way it casts.

I love the ability to fish pretty big streamers, then use every nymphing tactic I know very effectively. I don't really like casting this rod.

I haven't run into a rod in this configuration locally, so I would like to hear some recommendations. I am looking for something with lots of power like the Pulse, with a bit more feel. A rod that throws nice open loops with Airflo Kelly Galloup Nymph would be my preference.

3 rods I have in mind: BIIIX 696, BIII Plus 696, X 697, Radian 956. Maybe cheaper stuff if it is that good. My most fished rod is one I am willing to shell it out for, but don't have to.

When i was in the market for a salty six weight last year i threw the Radian 696 and was extremely impressed. I liked it a lot better than the 691, which was also a fine rod. Definitely worth taking a look at that one of its in the budget.

I have a 5w B3x in a 9.6 config and really love it however a friend brought his 6wt B3x (9.6) to work and it was seriously smooth and powerful, definitely test cast that one!

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
For what you are trying to do, I'd stay away from the BIIIX. It is great for dry flies but not my favorite for streamers or heavy nymph rigs.

Check out the BIIMX for this application. I have the 9'6" 6wt and love it for this application.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
For what you are trying to do, I'd stay away from the BIIIX. It is great for dry flies but not my favorite for streamers or heavy nymph rigs.

Check out the BIIMX for this application. I have the 9'6" 6wt and love it for this application.
I was thinking the BIII Plus would be pretty much the same idea. I could probably cast one in Twin, but who has time for that?

I'll be following this thread closely. I recently picked up a 9'6" Orvis Clearwater and combined it with a Rio 200gr sink tip. I'm throwing some larger articulated flies and I'm pretty impressed with the rod. It's not super fast but has a good feel. I have a 8wt Redington Predator that seems like a broomstick in comparison.

I would love to cast the Orvis next to a Winston or a Sage. I have been digging the 9'6" 6wt. as a good all around rod. It seems extremely versatile. A couple of spare spools loaded with a OPST head, a weight forward line, and a sinking line would take care of most needs.

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
Have you tried the Beulah Platinum 9’6 6wt? I have owned 9’6 6s in B3x, Nexus, and Z Axis platforms and now own 2 Beulah 9’6 6 Platinums and others are gone. For me the Beulah’s have a more intuitive feel and cast and fish very well. One thing most folks don’t realize is that the top 2 sections of them have boron strings to help quicken the tip a little and makes for a super sensitive rod.

I use them to bomb streamers for lahotans on Omak Lake, fish Sea Run Cuts on the sound, rig chriomomids, cast full sink lines and everything for smallmouth as well. It’s some of the best technology you will every find in a rod and it’s 2/3rds the cost of some of the fore mentioned. There is a host of attributes those rods possess but they are often overlooked.

For what it’s worth