9'6" 6wt Options?

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
Have you tried the Beulah Platinum 9’6 6wt? I have owned 9’6 6s in B3x, Nexus, and Z Axis platforms and now own 2 Beulah 9’6 6 Platinums and others are gone. For me the Beulah’s have a more intuitive feel and cast and fish very well. One thing most folks don’t realize is that the top 2 sections of them have boron strings to help quicken the tip a little and makes for a super sensitive rod.

I use them to bomb streamers for lahotans on Omak Lake, fish Sea Run Cuts on the sound, rig chriomomids, cast full sink lines and everything for smallmouth as well. It’s some of the best technology you will every find in a rod and it’s 2/3rds the cost of some of the fore mentioned. There is a host of attributes those rods possess but they are often overlooked.

For what it’s worth
How would you rate the power compared to a Z Axis? Super cool looking rods, heard nothing but good about them.

Also, anybody try the Hardy Zephrus 966?

XP

Go Hawks
The Radian 6 wt 9'6" is a sweet bigger fish rod, slightly stiff but will roll cast. You will enjoy casting again compared to the Pulse. I think the 9'6" casts further with less effort than the shorter 9' Radian but with less feel, finesse, & accuracy. That's relative though because both rods are excellent. Go with this one if you throw bigger streamers and don't plan to dry fly fish with it.

I was on the fence between that and the 9 ft Radian w/ FB. I ultimately went with the shorter rod and have not looked back. It's just sweeter and more fun to fish in my opinion.

Last edited:

Philonius

Have you tried the Beulah Platinum 9’6 6wt? I have owned 9’6 6s in B3x, Nexus, and Z Axis platforms and now own 2 Beulah 9’6 6 Platinums and others are gone. For me the Beulah’s have a more intuitive feel and cast and fish very well. One thing most folks don’t realize is that the top 2 sections of them have boron strings to help quicken the tip a little and makes for a super sensitive rod.

I use them to bomb streamers for lahotans on Omak Lake, fish Sea Run Cuts on the sound, rig chriomomids, cast full sink lines and everything for smallmouth as well. It’s some of the best technology you will every find in a rod and it’s 2/3rds the cost of some of the fore mentioned. There is a host of attributes those rods possess but they are often overlooked.

For what it’s worth
That's my salty 6wt, and I love it. Definitely worth consideration.

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
How would you rate the power compared to a Z Axis? Super cool looking rods, heard nothing but good about them.

Also, anybody try the Hardy Zephrus 966?
Kyle~ I would say the intuitive feel of the Beulah is similar to the Z Axis which by the contemporary Sage line up would be a more regressed action defiantly a tick more moderate than the “X” (IMHO). The Beulah is a stronger rod than the Z Axis and has a larger grain window on the top side. I contribute this to the addition of Boron in those top 2 sections. This makes the Platinum a heck of a cannon with Outbound/40+ style shooting head lines. The Platinum also handles presentation tapers well like the Airflo Bandit in the 6wt and this is where I thought the Axis excelled also.

One interesting thing is by adding the burl and rubberized cork end it really protects the rest of the grip and adds longevity in alkaline/salt water conditions (I think it’s a spanky touch too.) I hope you find what you’re looking for and this helps.

Tight lines

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
I recommend a rod I do not have yet, the Sage X.
I love the X 5wt the more I cast it. Might go X, might take my time and make the right decision.

Thanks for all the tips, folks. Glad to hear the 9'6" 6wt is working for others as well.

Also, for anybody interested in the Pulse 697, don't get me wrong. It is a completely kick ass rod. I have fished it probably 200 times since September 2015, and it has caught some serious honkin browns on streamers. It has also fished Alaskan estuaries for cutthroat and Dollies, chucked hoppers on the Yellowstone, chucked bobbers when nothing was biting, and overall been a great companion. The problem is, I have had a sore shoulder since October, and this rod absolutely wears me out. I am looking for a rod with power that is more intuitive to access.

For what you are trying to do, I'd stay away from the BIIIX. It is great for dry flies but not my favorite for streamers or heavy nymph rigs.

Check out the BIIMX for this application. I have the 9'6" 6wt and love it for this application.
Funny how different people have different perspectives on rods. I own several of the biiix and bii-mx rods, and a biii-plus rod and my advice would actually be to go with the 696 biiix over the other two. In my experience the slower, moderate action of the 696 biiix is spot on for throwing big double nymph rigs. In fact, I’d go as far as saying it is the best boat nymph rod I’ve used.

The bii-mx and biiix-plus rods make great streamer rods when paired with a streamer line and will handle most streamers you will probably throw, but for me they wouldn’t be my choice for a do-it-all rod.

Great thread here. Can anyone who has owned or fished/cast both a 956 Radian and a Winston BIIIX in the same configuration articulate their differences please. I've lawn cast the 956 Radian and while I love the craftsmanship/cosmetics and the stability of the rod casting at distance it seemed to lack the level of feel and surgical precision in close that for instance a Sage Z-axis can deliver in the same config. I have not cast the BIIIX but wondering if that is the holy grail I'm searching for - a 9.5" 6 wt with both power and finesse. Thanks