29 Pines campground

AdrianM

I'm new here
Hey all,
Planning to do some camping/fishing at 29 pines on Thursday night. Anyone have experience there? Good campsites? are there fire rings/bathrooms? Is it typically packed this time of year? I know it's first come first served.

Thanks
Adrian

Philonius

It's an extremely popular campground; easily accessible, reasonably close to Seattlopolus, generally good weather, and in a real pretty setting. I've driven by it dozens of times on my way up the N Fork and into the mountains.
Yes, definitely full on good weekends this time of year. Expect the normal assortment of the good, the bad, and the not-so-good. It's an open setting, and the campsites are pretty well packed in, so don't expect privacy, solitude, quiet, etc. People bring the full pickup load of stuff, so there will be coolers full of Schmitts, dirt bikes, generators and whatever all that might lead to.
I've never actually stayed there, so just how wack it gets isn't clear. Probably pretty wack at times.

AdrianM

I'm new here
Hopefully the crowd won't be so large on Thursday. We're okay with whatever but less is more. :)

Thanks for the tips an info.

Philonius

I'd be curious how the fishing goes. I was up there last weekend exploring the river from there up to Beverly; it seemed the water was still a bit high for my taste. YMMV, I've gotten to the point where I'm starting wade like an old guy. It's pretty high gradient, and must get fished a fair bit, so you'll want to try getting off the beaten path.
Thursday ought to be reasonable.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
That reminds me...I need to get some more of those soft foam earplugs! I might be passing through there with some other folks on Friday, hopefully going beyond. We're doing a shakedown bikepacking run, prepping for something bigger.

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
That reminds me...I need to get some more of those soft foam earplugs! I might be passing through there with some other folks on Friday, hopefully going beyond.
Jim, get the wax type earplugs that mold to your ear. They block sound so much better than the foam ones. They're always packed in my camping/travel gear.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Why four? In case you lose the first pair! Seems like the voices get louder as the stories get stupider. The best way to avoid being kept awake at night by campground noise is to stay up later than anyone else. If you want to sleep, earplugs help.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I'd be curious how the fishing goes. I was up there last weekend exploring the river from there up to Beverly; it seemed the water was still a bit high for my taste. YMMV, I've gotten to the point where I'm starting wade like an old guy. It's pretty high gradient, and must get fished a fair bit, so you'll want to try getting off the beaten path.
Thursday ought to be reasonable.
And how do old guys wade? Me I'm old and I don't wade over my Ankles. I might get in water up to my Calf. But I just like to get wet enough to cool off in the Summer time. That is if it ever shows up in Montana.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Any wading I do is carefully planned and executed using a good staff, if I can find one on the bank. I might wade in as deep as mid-thigh if there's any current. Sometimes the "wading staff" I'm looking for is already on the other side. Then I try to find an already downed tree, and break off a branch to use as a staff.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Any wading I do is carefully planned and executed using a good staff, if I can find one on the bank. I might wade in as deep as mid-thigh if there's any current. Sometimes the "wading staff" I'm looking for is already on the other side. Then I try to find an already downed tree, and break off a branch to use as a staff.
Go buy yourself a metal one. This way you can beat off the unwanted people.

Philonius

And how do old guys wade? Me I'm old and I don't wade over my Ankles. I might get in water up to my Calf. But I just like to get wet enough to cool off in the Summer time. That is if it ever shows up in Montana.
It's like this. In my younger days I felt just about invincible, and regularly did things like high end alpine rock and waterfall ice climbing. Wading never seemed like any kind of big deal, and I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that if I went in it wouldn't amount to any more than a dunking.

Now I'm 64 with a hinky back, nowhere near the strength and balance I used to have, and no illusions that getting swept in would be likely to go well. I found myself pushing it last weekend while working my up a river. At the end of the day I backed off of a crossing that I'd made without much problem in the past. I ended up getting lucky and being able to hitch a ride back to my car (which was on the other side of the river and several miles downstream,) or it might have gotten ugly. I'm now going to be dialing the adventure level down another notch.

Latest posts