Montana Rivers

Old Man

Just an Old Man
The rivers in the Dillon/Butte area are running bank to bank The Big Hole is in the trees, The Beaverhead is a nice shade of brown. Several small creeks are up to the top of the banks. We have had rain off and on for 4 days now. Mostly on. And more coming.

We did have a warm day this week. It hit 85 and then the rains came and stayed.

Yep- rivers roaring and turbid north west of Butte, too. Been raining heavily on and off through the weekend and the rain picked up again today. Only insect that seems to be thriving now is the mosquito.

That graph is only a guess at this point. They got pounded with rain and by the looks of it flows going up for now. Hope it gets flushed out of the system in a week or so. Thanks though

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
The Blue Ribbon section of the Missouri is from Holter Dam to Cascade.

There are 3 major reservoirs (Canyon Ferry, Hauser, and Holter) and one minor reservoir (Toston) upstream of the Blue Ribbon section.

Canyon Ferry is the largest and is the main one used to regulate flow out of Holter.

It is now full (although it does have an overflow pool) so the outflows will have to match the inflows.

The flows were slowly headed down until last weekend when a low pressure system set up over western Montana and it sucked up the moisture from a hurricane and a tropical storm. The flow below Holter was 11000 cfs on Saturday. Right now, 14,200 cfs and it’ll go up.

The Dearborn River, which dumps into the Missouri below Craig was at 300 cfs last Saturday. It’s now at 8,200 cfs and out of it’s banks.

Obviously, the fishing on the Missouri right now will suck . . .

kmudgn

I am distressed to hear this. I have 3 days of floats planned for the Big Hole, Beaverhead, and Madison in 2 weeks. Due to airfare lock in, I'm going, so I have to hope for the best.

Yes it will. I don’t care to nymph and usually only dry fly fish. Hoping the rivers over the next 10 days will get back to normal. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
I am distressed to hear this. I have 3 days of floats planned for the Big Hole, Beaverhead, and Madison in 2 weeks. Due to airfare lock in, I'm going, so I have to hope for the best.
Some of my best days on the Madison are 4000' cfs and zero visibility.

You will be fine.

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
These high flows on the Missouri will change the system.

During low water years the aquatic grasses flourish and the scuds, particularly the Hyallela, tilt the biomass away from aquatic insects. The reason is the low controlled flows out of Holter don’t scour the silt from the substrate and the Caddis and Mayflies don’t reproduce well. The aquatic grasses don’t get uprooted.

Scuds love aquatic grasses.

Also, when the trout habitat grows larger with more water, the population grows. Less fishing pressure this year creates a smaller mortality.

I predict next year will be gangbusters on the Missouri.

The Madison was dropping into shape very nicely last week. Fish were being caught on rubber legs. Lots of caddis on the bushes.

I can't speak for the other two rivers as I did not spend any time fishing them.

You might keep an eye on the USGS site. There was a little snow (2 in) the other day at Georgetown Lake.

Good luck on your trip.

Fishcat57

You'll be fine kmudgn, I just did a couple day float with one of the outfitters in Twin bridges last week. We hit the Big Hole twice and the Beaverhead once and they produced just fine. They were a little on the high/fast side but it pushes them all to the banks and they are hungry.

Latest posts