Suggestions appreciated

Hi all,

My husband is a fly fisherman and we just moved from Colorado to eastern WA. He used to fish cutthroat trout and his gears do not work for fishing salmon. I want to give him a new set as our anniversary gift. So here I am looking for some suggestions on gears for fly fishing in salmon river Idaho. I suppose a 9WT line is appropriate for both salmon and steelhead? I have found something on cabelas and I would be really grateful if anyone can tell me if this is something a fly fisherman would love to own.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...d=0&itemGUID=19157f14ac10a85c6203f6aadb1465df

If you know a better brand or product, please please let me know. I have two weeks left for preparing.

Smalma

How about a gift certificate to a local fly fishing shop? The experts at the shop will be able to set the hubby that suits his needs to expand his fishing opportunities. Not only will that insure a good gear fit it will help establish a working relationship the shop that will pay dividends down the rod in information etc. as he explores the region and its array of fishing opportunities.

BTW -
Sounds like your husband best catch of his life may have been his wife!

Curt

How about a gift certificate to a local fly fishing shop? The experts at the shop will be able to set the hubby that suits his needs to expand his fishing opportunities. Not only will that insure a good gear fit it will help establish a working relationship the shop that will pay dividends down the rod in information etc. as he explores the region and its array of fishing opportunities.

BTW -
Sounds like your husband best catch of his life may have been his wife!

Curt
Thank you for your kind words. I am not considering gift card although it would be so much easier and safer. It's just I look forward to seeing his face when he receives a new awesome fishing rod from his "know nothing about fishing" wife. The fun that a gift card not able to provide.

I see you are from Spokane, drop into The Silverbow fly shop. They are very knowledgeable about all of the local fisheries. He still has a lot of trout fishing opportunities.

dogsnfish

Thank you! I live in Pullman. Silverbow is two hours away. Do you know any good local shop closer?
There is a North 40 shop in Lewiston. My favorite shop is Red Shed which is an hour from Pullman, but Poppy and Dale do a lot of business over the phone and are incredible to work with. I also know from personal experience that an order placed early one day arrives the next day in Pullman. :rolleyes: Many think that Poppy specializes in a certain kind of fly fishing rod, but he has all kinds and it is where I do all of my shopping. He would likely be the most helpful person for you to talk to in our area. Welcome to Pullman!

Stream

One of the first things I would do is sneak into his gear closet and write down all the info found on each of his rods and reels - every word, every number, letter, dash and slash mark. Then, we or a shop can better steer you towards filling in the gaps once you know what he actually has. Just remember, fly fishing gear is like purses and shoes - you can never have too many and always need the right one for the occasion!

If you want to get something from Cabalas, I will say that that rod is probably my least favorite rod I have ever cast. Better would be the same reel and line with a TFO BVK. Also, a 9 wt is going to be way too much rod for Eastern Washington steelhead and salmon. Most people would use an 8 wt or even a 7 wt in a single handed rod. However, on big rivers like the Salmon River, many people prefer to cast two-handed rods (also called Spey rods). It helps people cover more distance but he will need instruction as it is a very different type of casting. This is where Poppy of the Red Shed comes in. He is a local expert and could help you pick just the right set, be it a single hand or two-handed rod.

Best of luck on picking a great gift!

Latest posts