Cour d’Alene Fishing Suggestions

I’m headed to Cour d’Alene in late July and was wondering if anyone has some tips or locations to visit. I’ve never been to the area but have read about the north fork of Cour d’Alene river. I appreciate any help.

Stop by Northwest Outfitters in CDA and they will assist you.
+1 on this suggestion. Great guys there. They will give you tons of info. The CdA river is a good bet, only 30 min or so outside of the city. You will need to drive way up near the headwaters though especially on a weekend since the rubber hatch is bountiful (drunk tubers).

Also, there is a tiny fly shop a little ways off the Kingston exit from 90. That's how you'll go up the river anyway. Go there to buy flies, that's about all they sell and it's just a young couple that owns it. They have a great map they made and had printed of the river and good spots to fish. They will help you a lot and it's a good little place to support.

Also, there is a tiny fly shop a little ways off the Kingston exit from 90. That's how you'll go up the river anyway. Go there to buy flies, that's about all they sell and it's just a young couple that owns it. They have a great map they made and had printed of the river and good spots to fish. They will help you a lot and it's a good little place to support.
It's still in the same location but the couple who owned the River Fly Shop are gone. It is now run by Castaway Fly Shop.

The lake itself has some nice small/large mouth bass and pike that are fun. Hayden lake near by has the same with some nice rainbows in it.

IveofIone

Expect huge crowds in late July. The river is being literally loved to death and you will need to get away from obvious pullouts and fishy looking runs to have much success. I was up there for a few days last week during midweek and the number of campers, trailers, vans, motor homes and day trippers was just discouraging. Fortunately we were camped on private property and had several miles of water to ourselves that can only be reached by boat or wade accessed by crossing the river and fishing the far bank. In that water the fishing was outstanding but in the public access water we fished one day we had a hard time catching anything although we have fished the water for many years.

Do your homework and identify some other options, the NFCDA may not be your best option in July. But in October........

FWIW, there's a convenient and inexpensive private campground on the river, at the Cataldo exit from I-90 east, on the east side of the river.

Last edited:
Go up stream on the North fork if the bikini hatch is heavy.
If ya get above the log jams no floating distractions.
The big fish are there, but the crowds put them in hiding

Great responses! Thank you. I’ll be in CDA the week of the 16th. I’ll have a few hours to wet a line. I’ll make sure to stop by Northwest Outfitters. I always appreciate the local knowledge.

r.overstreet

Hey man....f**k you
Im pretty I sure I just this shop closed down, a shame since that's where I stopped last year and was planning to stop again when I go in a week.

Latest posts