Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Old red eye and a carp

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Buzzy 
#1 ·
Water Vertebrate Fluid Fish Recreation

@Engee wanted to wet a line and see if he could fool a carp. Getting hot in the Columbia Basin - carping time. I was hoping the carp were done with spawn and would be actively feeding. While Engee focused on carp, I put an airlock indicator 6-feet from my fly and cast to some structure. Caught a small smallmouth that regurgitated a partially digested crawfish. A bit later his other ate a peacock herl body woolly worm.
Water Hat Vertebrate Sunglasses Sun hat

Hope "hero shot" haters aren't offended. Engee didn't hold the fish out to make it look bigger, just having it next to him makes the fish look big. The fish ate a traditional tied woolly worm and took off for Goose Island and into backing (Engee had a loose drag).

It seemed the tules where we would normally see lots of splashing and thrashing with spawning carp were mostly quiet; void of activity. The spawn is mostly done. It's only going to get better for carping. Speaking of carping, sure a lot of it on the hero shots thread.

See less See more
#2 ·
I got into a huge amount of tailing carp on upper lake Roosevelt Sunday while stalking pike. So many eaters I finally had to clip my wire leader off and tie a carp fly on! Hooked and landed a good one about 25 pounds. Broke my leader as I was trying to get it positioned for a photo.
It's getting to the time of year I switch to bass and carp, mostly. Musky still have a schedule in my summer, always.

#5 · (Edited)
Great post! Love that shot with the carp. Nice fish! Caught my first carp on a fly last week...and it was a mirror carp! Feelin lucky. I am suddenly more excited about chasing those right now than I am trout. (wow did i really just say that?). This new-found craving is completely unexpected. Can't wait to get back out there, hopefully this weekend.

*edit* the arm extension is more-so for showing off the awesome scales on this specimen than trying to make a small carp look big. Planning to do a painting based on this one. Hopefully I'll get more reference next time out!

Water Glasses Smile Vertebrate Goggles

#6 ·
Great post! Love that shot with the carp. Nice fish! Caught my first carp on a fly last week...and it was a mirror carp! Feelin lucky. I am suddenly more excited about chasing those right now than I am trout. (wow did i really just say that?). This new-found craving is completely unexpected. Can't wait to get back out there, hopefully this weekend.

*edit* the arm extension is more-so for showing off the awesome scales on this specimen than trying to make a small carp look big. Planning to do a painting based on this one. Hopefully I'll get more reference next time out!

View attachment 172990
Your smile says it all!

#7 ·
Insect Wood Fish Plant Terrestrial plant

It seems that sometime during summer, many of the golden bones vanish from their usual flats. Today was no exception. This mirror carp, who seems about to lose one of the few scales he had, was rooting around in tules. I dapped the fly in front of him and he ate. One other willing biter and that was it. Bead head woolly worm with peacock breast for a tail was the winning presentation today.
Insect Arthropod Plant Pest Rutabaga

I understand there was a carp tournament on the lake yesterday; weather was windy. Too bad for the tourney folks. The reservoir is really full, making wet wading a deep water experience along a couple of the bays - not a bad thing when it is 90F.

Didn't see any bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.