New WDFW Regs are out...

My main complaint is that the water that was in previous years closed till July 1 was changed to the weekend before Memorial Day. . . and there was no way for me to know it. So the state's laziness/ineptitude cost me almost a full month of fishing on my preferred water. Jackasses.
The new regs don’t go into effect until 7/1/18, so it appears that ahhh never mind. WDFW Bad! :rolleyes:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I just did a look through of your regs. You almost need to take a lawyer along when you go fishing. I noticed that streams that used to be open are now closed. And on most Skinny waters you have to release both Cutthroat and wild Rainbow trout. Some have a 14" minimum on both fish. After you can't keep the Rainbows and Cutts. What's left?

Stream

My main complaint is that the water that was in previous years closed till July 1 was changed to the weekend before Memorial Day. . . and there was no way for me to know it. So the state's laziness/ineptitude cost me almost a full month of fishing on my preferred water. Jackasses.

Be careful who you are calling a jackass, otherwise, if you fish your preferred water this weekend, the Enforcement Officer is likely to call you one when you argue as s/he hands you a ticket. Check the effective dates of the new regs; they always hide it - in plain sight right on the front cover.

FBEC6543-AA76-4B94-8D04-895529D3CF4A.jpeg

ED6CE669-B3F0-4D5A-B044-BEBC1E1E7178.jpeg

Last edited:

Shad

The new regs don’t go into effect until 7/1/18, so it appears that ahhh never mind. WDFW Bad! :rolleyes:
Yeah... As complicated and unpredictable as the regs may be, that July 1 effective date for new regulations pamphlets has been very consistent. Nearly as consistent as the loss of recreational opportunity.

@DBP : sounds like you actually gained something this year. Good for you. Count yourself among the very fortunate but tragically few.

Paul_

A portion of the upper NF Lewis has a significally reduced season in the new regulations.
The section of river has been catch and release only for almost 20 years. The new regulations are to prevent people from targeting/poaching a supposedly declining bull trout population.
I’m sure closing this section will prevent poachers:rolleyes:.
Also most of the data concerning the health of the bull trout population in the Lewis River is no longer gathered by WDFW. The data now comes from Pacific Corp. which operates the Dams.
It irks me when WDFW uses data from a power company to make regulation changes. Especially when I’ve heard a bio from the power company say he would like to close the entire river to fishing in order to try and help their failed trap and truck salmonid reintroduction debacle.

BDD

Be careful who you are calling a jackass, otherwise, if you fish your preferred water this weekend, the Enforcement Officer is likely to call you one when you argue as s/he hands you a ticket. Check the effective dates of the new regs; they always hide it - in plain sight right on the front cover.
Ha ha, you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go against Freestone when a possible fishing infraction is on the line.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
How come they didn't think of the Salmon and the Steelhead 30 years ago. Back in them days all they thought about was how many trees can we cut down. To hell with the fish. Well the fish went to hell didn't they.
Just for some perspective, 30 years ago was... let's see... borrow from the left..uh... 1988!

Skip Enge

The salmon etc congregate from Eagle Cliffs to the Muddy...Seems like that area can't support big numbers to me...Well hell that's a bunch of nutrification of the habitat...more happy eagles, osprey and seagulls sensing and noticing the Big "Eat at.." signs...Guess I better look at the new NF regs...as it is a place I love to fish...though about 13 miles up from the bridge...

Latest posts