SBS FlySpoke's Super Bug (Carnage variation)

ScottP

Tied here as a salmonfly; don't have a scud hook big enough to handle a bug this size so I subbed with the TFS iron (shorter shank than the Dai Riki 280) and it seemed to balance okay.

hook - TFS 2305 #4
thread - UTC 140 burnt orange
core - 25lb Mason
rib - x-small wire gold
underbody - moose body hair
body/head - 2mm foam rust
body hackle - brown (undersize by 3)
wing - elk hair
thorax - shmootz from the base of an orange/grizzly hackle
hackle - grizzly dyed orange (1TBS Rit orange, 1 cup water)
front wing - elk hair

put a loop in the mono

mash barb, start thread; tie in mono and rib

]

clean, stack some moose body hair; tie in, hook loop onto gallows

wrap moose hair up (a bit past the bend) and back; trim tips (optional)

tie in foam strip (1/2 gap width) at eye; fold, tie down at eye to create head, trim

tie in second foam strip (1/3 hook gap), brush underbody with Super Glue, wrap up and back, adjusting tension/overlap to create tapered body; tie off/trim

tie in hackle at base of body, palmer to tip

rib thru hackle, helicopter end, cover with thread; trip hackle tip

clean, stack, measure (tips to rear of body) a healthy clump of elk, trim butts, tie in

push down with thumb to divide hairs on either side of body, separate with cross wraps

clean, stack, measure (about 1/2 rear wing length) another, sparser clump of elk; trim butts, tie in facing forward over head

tie in hackle

create thread loop

harvest shmootz (you could use dubbing, but this stiff is real buggy, the hackle easily wraps thru it and I hate to waste anything)

insert in waxed loop, spin, trim

wrap thorax; tie off/trim

wrap hackle, tie off/trim, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

trim hackle, go fish

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:
Hello, I’m new here and at 69 yrs I am also new to fly fishing and fly tying. I’ve learned a lot here by reading the various posts but I cannot find the meanings of the terms “carnage variation” and “gallows variation”. Google has not been my friend in this search. Can someone please clear this up for me?

Bob

Bimini15

Gallows refers to a gallows tool, an addition to a vise that serves as a third hand in tying certain flies. In this case, it holds the mono and makes it easier to wrap the foam around it.

Carnage, as far as I can tell, refers to a family of flies tied with wrapped foam formed bodies. Not sure, but it would make sense to me if the idea had come from a Mr. Carnage.

I think the most common way to make carnage style bodies is not by using the gallows, but by using a needle, thus making this a gallows variation of a carnage style fly.

ScottP

Bob
Hello, I’m new here and at 69 yrs I am also new to fly fishing and fly tying. I’ve learned a lot here by reading the various posts but I cannot find the meanings of the terms “carnage variation” and “gallows variation”. Google has not been my friend in this search. Can someone please clear this up for me?

Bob
Bob,

Like Bimini said, the gallows is like a third hand for holding the mono loop, in this case; tyer's also use them with a clip of some sort for holding up wing posts on parachute flies. You can either buy a commercial one or make it yourself, like I did https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/108216/

The original Carnage fly was created by Adam Trina, the owner of Montana Fly Company and it was made by wrapping the foam on a needle and transferring it to the hook. Here's a good SBS showing his technique
https://hopperfishing.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/carnage-hopper-tutorial/

I started tying them like that but could never get consistent results and the foam bodies proved to be very fragile. Even so, the flies were effective and floated all day long, so I played around until I found a way to make them more durable; building the body on the mono core has solved the problem for me.

Regards,
Scott