NFR Camping in WA is rough!

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
It's sad that enforcement won't change that, when they could.
I'm not sure they could as even the police have warned me about that general area, which quoting the officer, is part of E WA's "Golden (drug) Triangle". A WDFW officer got attacked not far from there a few years ago. Like Billy said, Desert Air is ok but much of the rest of the area is pretty sketchy.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I'm not sure they could as even the police have warned me about that general area, which quoting the officer, is part of E WA's "Golden (drug) Triangle". A WDFW officer got attacked not far from there a few years ago. Like Billy said, Desert Air is ok but much of the rest of the area is pretty sketchy.
It's their job to make it safe, to simply turn your back is wrong. It's not like they cant set up some stings and start busting these gangs. They know who they are, it's not easy but that needs to change. The elected people in power need to step up and do their jobs!

b_illymac

Member Active
I think I heard that story. Some how the officer had a gun drawn against his head and was told to say his prayers? Thankfully he had a partner nearby or something. Gave me chills when I heard it.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I was hunting Buckshot with a friend. Two large dogs, two shotguns and one guy casing our rig when we came out!!

Wow, if your willing to do break-ins during hunting season in the middle of the day!!! Well, your either really, really stupid or really ballsy. Not a pleasant situation in either case.

It is sad the number of places in the Columbia Basin that are no longer safe.
We need a "Rat Patrol!"

Attachments

Buzzy

It's sad that enforcement won't change that, when they could.
I used to launch my boat at Buckshot to go bass and carp fishing but one morning found a truck burned out. Started paying to launch at Desert Aire. I don't know what enforcement could do about the plague of gangs in the Basin. Blink and something gets tagged, even here inside the little county seat for Grant let alone out there in the rural county.

Sorry, we're off topic........ but certainly something to think about if you want to fish and pitch a tent.

It might of been about 8 years ago we were chatting with a game warden at a potholes launch and he brought us around to the passenger side of his truck where he had a bullet hole in his door.The week before he had been in a gun fight just north of Buckshot , but in same vicinity,with a gang member. We used to camp and hunt there every year. Never again.

I was hunting Buckshot with a friend. Two large dogs, two shotguns and one guy casing our rig when we came out!!

Wow, if your willing to do break-ins during hunting season in the middle of the day!!! Well, your either really, really stupid or really ballsy. Not a pleasant situation in either case.

It is sad the number of places in the Columbia Basin that are no longer safe.
Anywhere else we should know to avoid over that way? I had no clue about Buckshot

Buzzy

The press release sounds great. How long will all these felons be behind bars before they make bail or are released because of some legal issue? Deport the illegals? Sure, how many days before they get back? "Not much sneaking"..... I don't know what the answer is as apparently our judicial system and prison system doesn't work well. There's obviously a demand for the drugs these gangs manufacture, transport and sell.

A swat cop who used to be in the area suggested one way to reduce gang presence was to round up all the gang members, lock them in a room with their weapons and leave them to their ways. Jeez. Calloused?

Last edited:

NukeLDO

Much better luck in OR and ID than in WA. That said, if you're going to a place that takes reservations, it's best to know the booking window and be on line when it opens up.
My most recent experience was up around Republic the week before Memorial Day. First come first serve forest service campground. I arrived on Monday and planned to leave on Fri before the weekend holiday crowd arrived. Well, the crowd started arriving on Tue and parked RVs and pitched tents in the available campsites and then just left even though the rules state you must stay in the campsite the first night you get it. Nope, these folks weren't doing that....they were essentially reserving a site for the weekend. Only saw one of them come back the entire five days I was there, and that was just to drop off a load of firewood. Kind of eliminates the first come first serve thing and pisses me off.

Latest posts