Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Camping in WA is rough!

NFR 
5K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  GingerBoats 
#1 ·
This being only my second summer in Washington one of my goals is to get out and do some more camping. So far I've found that I should have made that goal about 6 months ago :(. I'm not nearly as organized as the soccer moms and amazon employees and and finding it pretty much impossible to find campsites since lots of them seem to require reservations far in advance.

Anyone have some tips on finding places to camp last minute? Should I be trying to find places on DNR land? Anyone willing to share/dm some areas? I'll be car camping so no hike-in places.

If there is fishing close by that's always a bonus!

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I have had good success finding a spot in DNR campgrounds. Those sites are also FREE, as sleeping in your own, self-assembled structure, on the ground, in the woods ought to be.

Nothing against soccer moms and the like, but I can't understand PAYING to sleep on the ground, in the woods, on public land, next to 200 fellow suckers.

Hiking will earn you as much solitude as you could ever want, but that's hard work. DNR sites usually work best for me.

#13 ·
I was hunting Buckshot with a friend. Two large dogs, two shotguns and one guy casing our rig when we came out!!

Wow, if your willing to do break-ins during hunting season in the middle of the day!!! Well, your either really, really stupid or really ballsy. Not a pleasant situation in either case.

It is sad the number of places in the Columbia Basin that are no longer safe.

#25 ·
It might of been about 8 years ago we were chatting with a game warden at a potholes launch and he brought us around to the passenger side of his truck where he had a bullet hole in his door.The week before he had been in a gun fight just north of Buckshot , but in same vicinity,with a gang member. We used to camp and hunt there every year. Never again.

#29 · (Edited)
The press release sounds great. How long will all these felons be behind bars before they make bail or are released because of some legal issue? Deport the illegals? Sure, how many days before they get back? "Not much sneaking"..... I don't know what the answer is as apparently our judicial system and prison system doesn't work well. There's obviously a demand for the drugs these gangs manufacture, transport and sell.

A swat cop who used to be in the area suggested one way to reduce gang presence was to round up all the gang members, lock them in a room with their weapons and leave them to their ways. Jeez. Calloused?

#30 ·
Much better luck in OR and ID than in WA. That said, if you're going to a place that takes reservations, it's best to know the booking window and be on line when it opens up.
My most recent experience was up around Republic the week before Memorial Day. First come first serve forest service campground. I arrived on Monday and planned to leave on Fri before the weekend holiday crowd arrived. Well, the crowd started arriving on Tue and parked RVs and pitched tents in the available campsites and then just left even though the rules state you must stay in the campsite the first night you get it. Nope, these folks weren't doing that....they were essentially reserving a site for the weekend. Only saw one of them come back the entire five days I was there, and that was just to drop off a load of firewood. Kind of eliminates the first come first serve thing and pisses me off.

#33 ·
You guys do know we support all these criminals with "Snap benefits". That's food so they can spend their money on drugs to sell or use while they live in our playgrounds. They've got us by the short hairs, or we've given them our short hairs. If people were forced to support themselves and all they reproduce they'd act differently. They'd either get a job or end up in a crow bar hotel. Time we cut off the Snap support we provide! Let them make the choice of who they are and what they will contribute to society.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.