Icicle river bugs

I'm doing a trip out to some tributaries of the upper icicle river next week, and my fly boxes are far from prepared for it. I get out of school tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time to tie some up before I leave. Does anyone know what species of bugs are the most common on the icicle this time of year? And are the fish there even picky enough for it to matter? I appreciate any and all input, even if it's just telling me to figure it out on my own.
Thanks
-Dashiell

Buzzy

I'm doing a trip out to some tributaries of the upper icicle river next week, and my fly boxes are far from prepared for it. I get out of school tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time to tie some up before I leave. Does anyone know what species of bugs are the most common on the icicle this time of year? And are the fish there even picky enough for it to matter? I appreciate any and all input, even if it's just telling me to figure it out on my own.
Thanks
-Dashiell
I was going to suggest that @Freestone respond but she already did! :rolleyes: Goddard Caddis or a Royal Wulff should be in your box.

I was going to suggest that @Freestone respond but she already did! :rolleyes: Goddard Caddis or a Royal Wulff should be in your box.
I'd never heard of a goddard caddis, but it looked like a fun tie. Here are my first three:
IMG_1212.JPG
@Freestone and @Buzzy, thank you both so much for the help. Hopefully I can put your advice to good use and avoid getting washed down the river at the same time.

Stream

Dashiell, those look great! I'd also tie up some CDC and Elk. I like to have some in different sizes and some with fairly light colored deer hair for the evening bite, which is when it works best.

Hans W's CDC and Elk:

And you can't go wrong with a Royal Wulff, one of my all-time favorites. Don't be afraid to let it get wet and sink a bit too. Same thing if you have any Humpies, Stimulators or Adams. Bring some soft hackles too and a few streamers.
When are you coming over? I could leave some flies for you hidden along the road if you need some.

Dashiell, those look great! I'd also tie up some CDC and Elk. I like to have some in different sizes and some with fairly light colored deer hair for the evening bite, which is when it works best.

Hans W's CDC and Elk:

And you can't go wrong with a Royal Wulff, one of my all-time favorites. Don't be afraid to let it get wet and sink a bit too. Same thing if you have any Humpies, Stimulators or Adams. Bring some soft hackles too and a few streamers.
When are you coming over? I could leave some flies for you hidden along the road if you need some.
THIS is the best thing I've ever seen posted on here. What a GAL thanks for building a strong community.

Last edited:
OH and dude- As a regular hiker I want to be sure you know that road serves the Lake Stuart and Lake Colchuck trail heads. Those of some of the more popular trails in the Central Cascades. I suggest not going on a Saturday, cars are parking far down the road and people are everywhere. Also, regardless of what day you go, I suggest avoiding leaving your car on the road past dark. That road is a hot spot for tweaker breakins,they know it's a popular road that serves trails that rich seattle people hike.

Stream

THIS is the best thing I've ever seen posted on here. What a GAL thanks for building a strong community.
Thanks for the kind words. Like young Dasiell, I started fly fishing in high school but many, many moons ago. Back then, if you asked a fellow angler (who was catching fish) on the lake or stream what they were using, they'd show/tell you and then they'd usually give you one, especially if you were young. Just trying to paying it forward.

Thanks for the kind words. Like young Dasiell, I started fly fishing in high school but many, many moons ago. Back then, if you asked a fellow angler (who was catching fish) on the lake or stream what they were using, they'd show/tell you and then they'd usually give you one, especially if you were young. Just trying to paying it forward.
That's awesome. I hope we can get back to that place soon.

Hans W's CDC and Elk:

Nice! That one looks like a fairly quick tie, even for a beginner like me. I'm leaving today, and will probably be there around 6 or 7. As for flies, I think I have enough of them for this trip. I've been tying quite a lot lately, and I'll be able to finish a few more before I leave. However, you should know that the simple fact that you would be willing to do such a thing for someone you've never met made my day.